What to take off an '83 zx? - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

What to take off an '83 zx?

Featured Replies

I have access to an '83 non turbo for parts before it goes to pick n pull or wherever they send it. I will definitely take the distributor and the 5 speed in case I get the urge for a trans swap into my '71 in the future . Assuming the '83 trans will work in my car as I haven't really looked into it much. It's a relatively low mileage (120k) car that has some minor front end damage but it appears to have been well cared for when it was on the road up until recently. Is there anything on the car I should definitely take while i have access? What do you guys think?

Grab the R200 diff to go with the tranny

front calipers...........rear diff............rear calipers..........alternator.........tranny as mention.........510 guys hunt for these items or you can adapt and use on yours

  • Author

O.K. sounds good guys. If I do decide to use the trans, will I need to use the zx driveshaft and would the 5 speed be compatible with my stock rear end?

The tranny and diff (3:90) were made for each other and are a very nice combo. If you have room take the engine as well.

You'll end up using a 280 driveshaft. Lights and trim if in good shape are always needed by others.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Sounds like I should have him drop it at my house and I'll do some dismantling........

gnose, Are you referring to the stock rear in my '71 or the R200?

Might as well get the coil to go with the ignition module on the distributor. Make sure that you get the mounting plate with the distributor also, it's different. Then you'll have a drop-in electronic ignition. With different advance curves, centrifugal and vacuum, than your 240 but they can be modified.

Changing to an R200 will require some other mods- moustache bar, possibly half shafts and maybe some other parts. You can probably find an R180 with 3.7, 3.9 or 4.11 gears. I know there has been a guy trying to sell some of those diffs on the L A Craigs List.

  • Author

I don't really see the need for an R200 in my stock powered car so I would most likely keep the stock rear I have in there now and sell the R200 to someone that would need it.

  • Author

I believe my stock ratio is a 3.9 correct?

I think the stock ratio on a 240z is 3.364 IRCC, if not someone will certainly chime in with the correct number.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.