Sign in to follow this  
hls30.com

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
      • A non Z Engine
      • A Non Nissan Engine
      • Non Z ECM transplant
      • Non Z ECM
      • Harness Grafting
      • Too many Interior modifications
      • Too many Exterior Modifications
      • Any deviation from as the factory made it
      • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

Sooooooooo, after 124 expressed opinions and responses, do we have an answer for "What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?"?

Dennis

Do you remember how the commercial ended after the Wise Owl licked the tootsie roll tootsie pop three times?

Just came to my attention that this lime Z(400hp) that appears on the opening page of the forum , was not mention on this thread, it is a well executed car with no regard to money, and the Z name was never ignore on the comments it generated .............that is all. Just a simple observation on my part. BTW aint she a pretty Z ;)

Edited by 72 OJ

Do you remember how the commercial ended after the Wise Owl licked the tootsie roll tootsie pop three times?

Nope.

Dennis

Sooooooooo, after 124 expressed opinions and responses, do we have an answer for "What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?"?

Dennis

As I type this there have been 58 responses to the poll, with 123 total votes. Clearly, too many exterior changes is a big no-no with 43 or nearly 75% responding. 1/3 of respondents didn't like some type of an engine change, but as a category 62 (more then 100%) votes were cast against any engine change. Having the OEM engine is part of the Z experience.

You can think otherwise all you want, but you're just pissin' up a rope.

Gary, that is math manipulation, and that is OK. I ask......what is wrong in honoring this marvel of a car by updating it's drive train, today 150 hp and rear drums are obsolete none fun factors. I like old school but also welcome a well thought and well done update on a classic looking sports car. I invite you watch any of the Barrett Jackson Auctions or similar venues , there you can clearly see the moneys that are exchange on complete blue chip restorations, even exotics with modern guts. At times the so called modified brings more $ than its out of the box twin ;)

Edited by 72 OJ

Gary,

I said the same thing a long time ago- #78.

Mr. OJ-

There was no 'math manipulation.' It's a poll; you vote for something and it tells you how many votes are in which group.

Edited by TomoHawk

As I type this there have been 58 responses to the poll, with 123 total votes. Clearly, too many exterior changes is a big no-no with 43 or nearly 75% responding. 1/3 of respondents didn't like some type of an engine change, but as a category 62 (more then 100%) votes were cast against any engine change. Having the OEM engine is part of the Z experience.

I didn't see a response that said any engine change......

A non L series Engine 32.76%

A non Z Engine 36.21%

A Non Nissan Engine 37.93%

Clearly, these descriptions mean that the engine is changed, and the counts are significant; 62 votes from 123 is 50%.

Edited by TomoHawk

I disagree........a non L series engine doesn't exclude an L28 .....neither does a non Z engine. An L28 is a Nissan engine so A Non Nissan Engine doesn't apply. You are reading into what agrees with how you want it to read. IMHO

Dennis

OK, tried "pissin' up a rope"....4'7" was all the better I could do. Perhaps we could get a poll going on how high other members of the group can get.

Maybe I should have asked, "Has anyone changed their mind about what makes a Z a Z or what modifications go too far as a result of the poll and comments of others?".

Dennis

I haven't changed my mind about stuffing a V8 in an S30 chassis. It's not an upgrade, there's no honor in it, and it's no longer a Z. Disregard those opinions. Sorry to disappoint, but puke is puke no matter how much stupid money is spent on it.

[...]today 150 hp and rear drums are obsolete none fun factors.

:rolleyes: I have plenty of fun in my L24-powered, drum-braked Z...

I disagree........a non L series engine doesn't exclude an L28 .....neither does a non Z engine. An L28 is a Nissan engine so A Non Nissan Engine doesn't apply.
    This is really confusing. If you have a 280Z, then it came from the factory with an L28 engine.

Sorry Tomohawk........I should have clarified......I mean an L28 installed in a 240Z. You can't tell them apart without reading the numbers on the block.

and rear drums are obsolete none fun factors.
    Mr Ferrari was wining races (with cars that had drum brakes) by the bucket until the Jaguars (with the new disc brakes) started winning too. Edited by TomoHawk

I haven't changed my mind about stuffing a V8 in an S30 chassis. It's not an upgrade, there's no honor in it, and it's no longer a Z. Disregard those opinions. Sorry to disappoint, but puke is puke no matter how much stupid money is spent on it.

I agree. If cars have a soul, it's in the engine. Replace the engine and you have a different beast.

That's not to say I fault those who change to a more powerful motor. Everyone has the right to do what makes them happy. They just need to realize their happiness may not be shared by everyone who views the end result. My experience is that great cars tend to speak for themselves and don't require the owner to constantly toot the horn to get attention.

Dennis

My experience is that great cars tend to speak for themselves and don't require the owner to constantly toot the horn to get attention.
    I agree too. If I go to a car show or cruise-in, I walk right past the Corvettes or other new cars until I find something with real character. It might be a rat rod, an early corvette, a nicely kept model T or model A, or something completely different. Sometimes you see the owner sitting by his shiny new car, and when you walk by without even looking (and they watch you!) you can tell they seem a little (offended.)

You can tell which cars have had a lot of TLC or midnite wrenching by the cleanliness or detail that is there- be it engine or interior- and after working on or maintaining an S30 for so many years, instead of just swapping engines straight-away, you can really appreciate it. :)

Grant, thanks for posting the Tootsie Roll Pop commercial. Can't remember viewing it. I see it's from 1969. I was keeping the world safe from Communism at that time and missed a lot of TV. I'll add the Owl to the Frito Bandito and the Speedy Alka Seltzer guy as lasting memories of the '60s. :)

Dennis

What I'm reading from the poll, a L28 in a 240 is acceptable because it is:

A L series Engine

A Z Engine

A Nissan Engine

There isn't a poll question about a bored or stroked engine. I would vote that any L series engine in a S30 is acceptable.

What I'm reading from the poll, a L28 in a 240 is acceptable because it is:

A L series Engine

A Z Engine

A Nissan Engine

There isn't a poll question about a bored or stroked engine. I would vote that any L series engine in a S30 is acceptable.

Yep, the LS1 is an L engine= acceptable LOLLOL:laugh::D

Sorry OJ......We're referring to an L which is inline with 6 cylinders. You won't find any advocates of a V8 in a Z in my circles. Beautiful car.......keep the hood down and don't fire it up!:bulb: