IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

• 3 months later...
OJ, as usual you miss the entire point of the conversation. No one is saying that a hybirdized car isn't cool, they are saying it is no longer what it was designed to be. Your car for instance is now a Chevzy, not an S30, not that it's not cool, just not a Z car anymore.

When I lift my hood people marvel at how a 40 year old power plant can still run so strong and how I keep it running so well. When I see any old car with a new engine, I see someone that has no respect for the original design, or someone that lacks the skills required to keep that old dog in the hunt.

There is a difference between improving the original design, and tearing it to the ground and resigning it totally. The Z body is more than just a shell to cover any old motor, the Z is a package.

I really don't care what anyone else thinks about my car, it makes ME happy when I drive it. And it never gets parked with the hood open and a sign that says "look at my zness ;)" it gets driven, hard and often and on the twistiest roads I can find. And when I break something, I fix it, and if I don't like the way something works, I modify it to make it better. And if we both enter a car show we will not be competing against each other, they will put you in a catagory with street rods and other highly modified frankinstine monsters.

'Nuf said.

I agree. I like reading forums like HybridZ, but personally I would never do that to any classic car. Although Japanese like the tuning scene alot, bet they never thought of Americans dropping v8's in there. Maybe the biggest threat asides rust to a classic Z is people doing hybrids.

Good point! Of the few rust free Zs still left, how many have been cut up in the name of "improvement", and then called "restored" to keep the nostalgic connotation instead of "modified" to properly term what was actually done.

Yeah..isn't it a sad thing...

Look how they molested this old girl ( it's not a Z but the same point.. ):

http://www.wired.com/autopia/wp-content/gallery/project-detroit/01-project-detroit.jpg

Edited by bartsscooterservice

• 6 months later...

BUMP>>>> look at what is going in Japan with the early Z's RockyAuto - ?????(?????????????????Z?GT-R)???? ??????? 6 figures in US $ WOW , I will like to see reactions on this interesting market on this Z site :bulb: ( use the Google translation feature in order to get their description on these cars)

Edited by guaro