IGNORED

Under hood insulation/soundproofing

madkaw

Two problems come to mind. First is that there isn't a lot of room between the engine and hood. Second is that the engine compartment gets rather hot even as it is, especially in the pre-'77 unvented hoods. Insulation would make the problem worse.

I think one of the reasons the sounds resonate is because the hood IS so close to the valve train. The heat is a consideration though. I wouldn' t insulate the whole underside of the hood if I did this, probably just the " hump" area

I highly recommend Dynamat products, which have greatly improved my 73. In addition to using Dynamat on the firewall, transmission tunnel, floors and doors,etc. I added .25 in. Dynaliner to the trans tunnel and used .5 in. Dynapad on the floors under the carpet.

After installing the Dynamat on the trans tunnel, it was still hot to the touch, but by adding the Dynaliner (which is stick-on) it was dramatically cooler. I re-installed the original vinyl over both layers and the interior appears completely stock.

The only place that I didn't insulate was the roof. The vinyl is like new and I was afraid to mess with it.

Peter

I used a similar product to Dynamat, made by Secondskin (Damplifier):

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

Due to the catalytic converter in my car, I had to double insulate the tunnel portion. It worked and cooled great. I also applied the Damplifier to the roof and doors. Great adhesion properties. They also carry products for the heat/firewall/hood insulation.