IGNORED

Major Meltdown

northernz

Well we finally had a nice day so I decided to get the old girl out of storage. After hooking up the battery and checking fluids she fired right up! As I was topping up the clutch master (slave cylinder is leaking and WAS first on the list of jobs), my son says "dad there's smoke coming from the starter." I look and sure enough the fusible link is smoking. My heart dropped as I looked to the cabin and its FULL of smoke. As quick as I can I shut her down and disconnect the battery, but it appears the damage is done. I haven't had a chance to investigate, car will be towed home today, but a preliminary look revealed melting of wires coming out of steering column, leading to fuse block, as well as melting of a major connector to the right of the center console. Don't think this will be a quick or easy fix:cry:

Thanks Carl,

That's what I was thinking, lots of mice around ,she' stored at a friends farm, in a nice barn with concrete floor. I've not had mice trouble before. I can't really speculate too much on the damage, but I'm already searching for dash harnesses!

Mark

Jim with the Calgary club here. Drop me a line z240@shaw.ca and I'll see what we can do for replacement bits. That dang fusible link should have popped sooner that that. Sucks.

Maybe, just maybe, you only cooked the main white/red 10 gauge supply line that runs all over, a little smoke from that kind of short looks like a lot, it may not be that bad. Dig in and see.

Jim

I just did something like that. I thought I had an alternator w/ a non-functioning internal regulator so I replaced the whole unit.

When I reconnected the battery both wires to the alternator started burning, there is a short under the dash somewhere.

I created the problem by hacking my dash harness to bits in the course of a 16 year ownership of this vehicle.

At first I was just going to part out all the goodies I have on the vehicle and buy another Z, but...

...this is MY Z darnit! I don't want another Z, I want mine!

It just so happens I have another '76 280z dash harness, and the heater and A.C and all related hardware are gone from the vehicle.

I found a guy who is going to replace the harness and wire all the aftermarket rice items I have in correctly, and he knows ZCARS so I don't think I could have found a better repair person.

Theoretically I could do this repair but realistically I would rather pay someone else to.

Good luck w/ your vehicle, all is not lost!

Thanks for the support! This harness had also been hacked for fog lights,aftermarket cruise control and an incredibly hamfisted stereo install! Still, it functioned with no problems until this happened! Okay, so the washer bottle didn't wash and the dome light didn't light, but it gave no indication that this could happen! I'm sure with all the offers of support that I'll get her back running!

Quick update, got the car home and a preliminary look revealed the probable cause,partially my own stupidity. I found a broken tie wrap on drivers side floor right against transmission tunnel. This was presumably holding the choke cables in some way and it broke when I applied choke to start the car. This allowed the choke cable to come in contact with the left side of the fuse holder for the 20A fuse at the top left of the fuse box because "someone" stupidly left the cover off! Don't know if that makes me feel better or worse! Hopefully I'll be able to repair the harness. Won't be able to get to it til this weekend at least.