IGNORED

Conversion to EFI from Carb

Mike

I think I've gotten about as intimate with the L28 EFI as anyone here, and I agree with others that I wouldn't use the old L-Jet system. It's not that I don't think it would work appropriately for the L24. In fact the L-Jet should make the transition between engines better than a modern MAP sensor system. Rather, it's because the old L-Jet system is going to perform as an antiquated and delapidated piece of junk.

The ONLY reason I have the original L-Jet system in my 280Z is for its originality. Unlike most people here, I have fond memories of the L-Jet as my very first fuel injection system (on a different Z), and I want to preserve mine as a working example of that technology. However, if I were going non-stock, I'd retrofit with a modern (e.g. MegaSquirt) system. It would make far more sense.

Here's mine, BTW -- stock system, nonstock colors ;)...

280zblueengine03.jpg

Edited by FastWoman

I agree with everything you say about the old system except for the part about it being an "an antiquated and delapidated piece of junk". Antiquated; definately, dilapidated (you used the very common misspelling) would depend on the particular example. Aging, failing, changing components (or I believe the word 'drifting' has been used) are what eventually cause problems in these systems. With the unavailability of new parts, it's difficult to get one to run correctly. One of the reasons I sold mine. They were both low mileage examples the functioned as the factory intended. I never had the problems the I've seen reported here but I knew that in the future I likely would have. But in reality, Webers, S.U.s, Mikunis, etc. are also antiquated. But they are, arguably, easier to work with. I'm not really sure that installing all of the sensors, etc. required to run a modern system on an engine that is also, let me say it nicely, a part of history, would be the answer either. People have done it but it has is drawbacks also. If it has carbs keep it carbureated.

Edited by sblake01

Mike,

As everyone here as pointed out the stock EFI system is, well old and out of date. It was a great feature of the 70's but its just not up to par with everything out on the market. I recently did a megasquirt (MS) upgrade on my Z as my old EFI system was leaning out and stalling and I just wasn't going to deal with trying to fix it anymore. The install took about two days (roughly 14 hours or so but I was taking my time). The only warning I have is do your homework before getting it. The install is simple enough the tuning is where people have issues. MS can control pretty much everything on the engine from injectors to the timing, its just a matter of how far you want to go. I just have it controlling the injection for now. Here is how my engine bay looks now (its about 80% complete. I "tried" to make the wiring look stock like, it came out ok in my opinion).

Jan

post-19999-14150817939816_thumb.jpg

So how does it run right now?....good?

Is that aimed at me? It runs amazing and that's not an understatement. I don't have dyno results but from the "feel of my seat" dyno I definitely have more power (or at least the power I'm supposed to have) at all RMPs. The throttle response is better and fuel economy is up a tad, though I think I have a case of lead foot now. :-).

Jan

Is that aimed at me? It runs amazing and that's not an understatement. I don't have dyno results but from the "feel of my seat" dyno I definitely have more power (or at least the power I'm supposed to have) at all RMPs. The throttle response is better and fuel economy is up a tad, though I think I have a case of lead foot now. :-).

Jan

Did you do version 2? Just go with a map sensor, or a wideband as well?

Thanks guys, are there websites for the aftermarket systems you recommended? Although I like the idea of EFI, I like the simplicity of my engine compartment with the triples on there now. It looks neat and clean.

I remember seeing an aftermarket system on a Z at the Canby show that was very clean. The guy replaced the distributor with some kind of mechanical sensor on the crank and low voltage all the way up to the spark plug. Like a modern system, the high voltage spark isn't transferred over wires, each spark plug has a mini coil on top of it.

My goal is to make the car easier to drive while keeping the engine bay clean. I would like something that looks like it was delivered in the 70's. I believe there are some nice EFI photos in the gallery and I'll have to post a few here.