IGNORED

Nice original owner '72 survivor on Ebay with no reserve

24 Ounces

What # is my 72 Z.....it is a California car now in MD ,totally refresh with new paint on original panels,engine has been changed with a 260 block all stock internals replaced,head is a redone E88 all stock,original no crack dash,seats and door panels now in cloth/vinyl,all original glass with new rubber seals, new struts/shocks, brake shoes/pads, rotors/drums, new master C, new brake lines, new bushings , front end redone,all electrical's in working condition including the factory clock,a used 5 speed trany with no issues and 71 SU's properly tuned.

Edited by 72 OJ

72 OJ...is your Z listed on the 240Z Registry?...you can find out a lot of info about other Zs that were built around your car's VIN...color and originality. To add your car, just type in the info at the very bottom of the list and give its original paint color and interior info...type in a few sentences about its history, mileage, and originality. Sounds like you have a really nice and original Z (except for the matching number motor and trans...not sure how important those really are).

I'm posting a photo of my Z's documents, and a couple showing how original (beat up...LOL) it is. I don't have the window sticker, but have everything else. I have my car's original Nikki fuel pump (got it in a box...needs to be rebuilt), one original Koito headlight (still works after 40 years!), original coil and battery cables, most original braided hoses (to be replaced with expensive braided repos), original rusty exhaust (to be replaced with a rust-free one I got from a Calif. desert Z), and a box of original wire clamps I'm putting back on the engine. I found the plastic warranty card a few days ago when I took the console, passenger seat, and right side carpeting out to clean out the last mouse residue from the car's 20 years in storage. The card was trapped between the hand brake and the console.

post-23981-14150817764034_thumb.jpg

post-23981-14150817764639_thumb.jpg

post-23981-14150817765226_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info on registar....I have given this Z a few personal touches but believe that are period mods,,,,a vintage leather Momo steering wheel,cut 4 inches from the sitick shift and adapted a vintage Momo leather knob that seats nice on the boot, just installed a set of polished wheels from a 77 Z, bullet chrome side view mirros and an old Sony AM/FM cassette player . I do have the original owners manual. PS ; same orange 918 as yours

Edited by 72 OJ

I may get a lot of mad/frownie faces for saying this. I hope these cars do not become super collectible. The word "collectible" has killed so much of the classic car hobby for so many people. You can't touch any GM muscle car in decent shape for less than $15K, basket cases are bringing $5K - $8K which in most cases is a $700 car at best. I have been trying to find a good clean 240z just about anywhere in Texas at a decent price, sub $8K and they are no where to be found. A guy here in Austin is firm at $5500 on a 240z that has a locked up engine and is an automatic. That is just crazy. Yes, these cars are becoming more rare due to rust, collisions, etc. But I hope the industry does not start hyping them up and put them out of reach of more people. The auctions have helped no one except the auction houses and TV channels that run them. They make for interesting and somewhat educational TV but watching people pay stupid money for cars that are plainly not worth it just hurts everyone in the end.

In regards to the yellow 240z on Ebay. Obviously 2 people out there think its worth $10K+ I hope for fine examples such as that car that becomes the ceiling for these cars. I remember when the factory restored Z's came out and Courtesy Nissan wanted an insane number for one they had at the time.

I know, supply, demand, economics, etc. But lets keep old cars as old cars, no matter how restored or nice and keep the prices reasonable for what they are, not what others think they will be worth.

So you're saying that if I were to fully restore a Z and decide to sell it, I should sell it for $6k just to keep prices reasonable? That's pretty unreasonable.

Supply and demand is exactly it. I can put my 260Z on ebay right now with a starting bid of $50,000. This does not mean that anyone will buy it, nor does it mean that it automatically raises the prices of other cars. If you're not willing to pay $5,500 for an automatic 240Z with a locked up engine, and nobody else is, then the price of that Z will drop because it is not in line with the value of the car. Value is determined by the buyers (market), not the sellers. If you want to keep the prices of Z-cars down, then don't buy expensive ones. However, don't be surprised when somebody else scoops up a nice Z for more than you thought it was worth.

This is my 72

801360024_X9Yxk-L.jpg

It has horizontal glass. I am second owner and the original owner spoke about it being repainted after a hailstorm in the mid 80's... I think the receipts include a new hood and hatch. This may explain my horizontal lines, unless it was a build transition anomaly prior to VIN 62001.

Edited by cygnusx1

If buyers in the US continue to try to keep 240Z prices low by simply not buying expensive examples or shooting low-ball offers at them, before too much longer there won't be any expensive examples left. Not because the prices will come down—but because the good cars will be snapped up (at true market value) by enthusiasts overseas who recognize value when they see it. I don't think I have to tell you how I know this....

Edited by Arne