IGNORED

Seeking dream car

280chaser

The $3200 Z listed above is my car. It runs great, previous owner sunk quite a money in to it to get it that way. Now that it has new tires on it, TX inspected, and TX registered it is my daily driver. It does have rust but very repairable with 2 patch panels. I also have the front valance panel and fender extensions to put on this weekend if I have time. Once I get the valance panel on I will post new pics of it. If you are interested in it give me a call at the number in the ad. The price is negotiable.

the turbo'd 75 i'm looking at today has only has 80 miles on the rebuild still needs an exhaust which is around 380 dollars, the tail lights re-wired, the alternater bolted on (new) and the speedometer installed (used) and a new (quality) paint job. <- most expensive part. Will the 81 280zx turbo engine pass an emissions test with just a downpipe? If not that's the first thing i'll be installing.

Chaser - I live in Richardson and could probably take a look at the car Blue found in post #7. I can't do a mechanical eval beyond driving it but I can sure check out the cosmetics and any available records. The price is a bit higher than your target but everything else I've seen you looking at will suck up that difference and a lot more. PM me with your contact info if interested.

Jim

the turbo'd 75 i'm looking at today has only has 80 miles on the rebuild still needs an exhaust which is around 380 dollars, the tail lights re-wired, the alternater bolted on (new) and the speedometer installed (used) and a new (quality) paint job. <- most expensive part. Will the 81 280zx turbo engine pass an emissions test with just a downpipe? If not that's the first thing i'll be installing.

Just from the sound of your post, I'm thinking that car would have a ways to go before you have to worry about passing an emissions test....sounds like another one to 'stay away' from.

Edited by sblake01

Just from the sound of your post, I'm thinking that car would have a ways to go before you have to worry about passing an emissions test....sounds like another one to 'stay away' from.

I just got back from looking at it, its in great shape. No rust, body work is done (other than paint.) I'd need to dino the engine to adjust the psi and the turbo (it currently at stock settings) but all the parts are either new or re-built. Its in great shape just needs some cosmetic work and the alternator is in but its missing a voltage regulator and the break/blinker lights need some re-wiring. I'll be getting an entire car harnass and a power steering bracket with it and a bunch of other parts. I should be able to talk him down on the price too, i could probably get this thing for 3k. All the things i just mentioned i could easily fix and in Texas, because it older than 20 years old they don't do the emissions test. ( just remembered) but for about 420 dollars i could get an exhaust and get it welded on.

I reconginzed a lot of the parts from zstore, which seems to have a good reputation. I think i'm gonna go with this one.

I, too, hope it works out for you but it's been my experience that when a car just needs "x, y, and z" according to the seller, it always makes me wonder why he didn't do those things. I've been around these cars a long (and I mean LONG) time and I've generally been right when I follow my own instincts. Running a ZXT engine on 75 electronics takes some knowledge and expertise. A 75 280Z does not have power steering. Adjusting the turbo's PSI? Obviously you don't know enought about these 30 year old systems. All I'm trying to say is go into this with your eyes wide open and don't let a seller convince you of something that might not be true....

A 75 280Z does not have power steering.

i realize this, but i plan on adding power steering.

Adjusting the turbo's PSI? Obviously you don't know enought about these 30 year old systems.

the engine was just re-built(should perform like a new engine from the factory, not like a 30 year old engine) and has aftermarket intercooler, blow off valve to reduce backlash when shifting and a few other modifications that the engine didn't come with stock. Are you sugguesting that nobody should run more than 8psi? I spoke to a few nissan mechanics and they said that the engine was built to handle up to 15 origionally. Its my understanding that this engine with a few modificatoins was overbuilt to the point that it can handle up to 350 hp, 300 reliably.

All the lines have been cleaned, gas tank was acid washed etc.

Okay hold up right there. I am going to echo the rest of the statements here. You are envisioning a super fast street car roaring around town, but what is being sold is a parts bin car. It has been pieced together. How does it have 80 miles on it if it is not together yet? Did he remove parts from it? Upping the pressure by 100% is no something you can take lightly. You will need better engine management, better fuel systems, better fuel pump, better cooling. Assuming you know how to tune everything AND everything is working well enough to be tuned, you will still need to upgrade the rest of the 30 year old car to handle 300HP, like bushings, bearings, mounts, suspension, brakes, steering, electrical, etc.

What you see in your head is awesome! Never lose sight of that dream. But what the veterans and myself are telling you is that what is separating you from your dream is about 3000 more dollars at least on top of the car.

It is far better to find a mostly stock 280Z running and driving and enjoy it. You can drive it while you improve it and relive all those memories you and your mom had in a car that will start and drive every day. The more stock a car is the more the people on this forum can help you. With untold modifications you are often in left field where to start diagnosing every single ailment the car has. OEM is better for a beginner. Once you have the car running and stock, you and your son can get to modifying it together one day.

Find a reliable driver and start to freshen her up as your money allows.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi