IGNORED

Z's at the Barrett Jackson auction.....OPINIONS

72 OJ

Just curious, but what makes the BRE paint scheme car a good buy at $18,150? It just looks like an average pretty much stock driver 240Z with BRE theme external repaint? Here is the auction description and photos:

Accurately custom restored to simulate a BRE 240Z race car. This is a very quick street car that could easily hit the track for a lapping day. Fresh paint and interior complement the excellent refurbished original drivetrain. Great dependable driver. 16" wheels, custom exhaust, disc brakes and lowered suspension.

-Mike

Add up the parts, and the labor (which appears to be of top quality). $'s are in the details. When parts, build quality, and attention to detail come together, 2+2=5. Take a look at the door shot of the orange 240Z. The door frame area is iffy, as are the door seals.

Disclaimer: Judging ONLY from the photos. I could be way off.

Edited by cygnusx1

That is the sellers fees, they get a buyers fee and a sellers fee. If you are there (paid the $500 registration) it is 10%. If you do it online or phone it is 12%

Thanks for the info. It doesn't show on the Barrett web page that I could see. The seller fee was in the FAQs, didn't see any thing but registration fee for the buyer.

So you're saying that Barrett gets 20%, +/- a couple, depending, of the hammer price. That's way more expensive than selling a house.

Edit - and the buyer's cost is actually 10 - 12% higher than the hammer price? So a $20,000 bid actually costs $22,000 - 22,400. That's some fees.

Edited by Zed Head

I have watched quite a bit of BJ this year as well as many BJ's in the past. The prices overall are WAY down this year. Cars that used to bring great money are now bringing far less than what it costs to restore them. One example was a '65 Vette with a 00005 VIN. The car was beautiful inside and out and it brought something like $40,000. A few years ago it would have easily been a $100k car. That car's selling price was very typical of the cars I watched go across the blocks. There was a numbers matching '69 Mopar 440 convertible that sold for $30k. A friend of mine sold his '69 Road Runner 383 in decent driver condition for over $30k about 7 years ago. The BJ car would probably appraise for close to double what my friend's is worth.

The way I heard it on the TV was the seller paid 8% and the buyer paid 10%.

Bonzi Lon

On site buyer pays 10%. Offsite buyer pays 12%. Seller pays 8% if no reserve, 10% if reserve

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/bid/absentee.asp#6

I was there last year. These are the fees. Yes BJ gets some from the buyer AND some from the seller on the same car

Barret Jackson is the biggest money making scam in the world. Literally raping people of their money for setting up a tent and hooking up a microphone. Brilliant simply brilliant.

he has created the illusion of exclusivity...the biggest asset one can have in today's image over substance marketplace.

On site buyer pays 10%. Offsite buyer pays 12%. Seller pays 8% if no reserve, 10% if reserve

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/bid/absentee.asp#6

I was there last year. These are the fees. Yes BJ gets some from the buyer AND some from the seller on the same car

I imagine every year is different in the rules, regulations & commissions. The very first year I watched it, there was no commission on any thing over 1 million dollars, there was also a sliding scale of percentage of the sold price. They also had reserves that year.

There may also be some exceptions made at the time of signing the contract. What they quote on the air may be the average commission. They might give a huge discount just to have a special vehicle. If each contract is made & signed behind closed doors, we will really never know for sure.

That is one hell of a gate fee for a car show, but what a show. :)

Bonzi Lon

That is one hell of a gate fee for a car show, but what a show. :)

Bonzi Lon

Lonnie, how much to just get in, onto the grounds, and look around? I'm sure

that's no freebie, either. And probably another week's pay to get into the

big top and watch the auction on the big screen because the stage is "at the

other end of the football field"........ I think I'll just stay home and watch

from here, saving the price of the plane ticket and whatever else.........

BTW I was surprised to see this thread at all, because over the years I had

consistently heard that BJ was pretty "anti" Japanese cars. Anyone else

heard the same?-- or if you heard something different, what was it?

All Z Best,........................Kathy & Rick

The 'original' 1973 with the sunroof, wrong carbs, and missing emissions equipment? Seems like a good price to me.

-Mike

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking about the "1973." I have a 1972 and I thought that they went to square tops in 1973. In fact the whole engine bay looks closer to mine than a 1973 which had a lot more smog equipment. And didn't something about the bumpers change in 1973? Height or mounting point? From the one look, the bumper sure looks the same as mine. And, of course, the sunroof, which I understand was not available as a factory option.

Chris