IGNORED

Finding Z-Cars by VIN number possible?

Wick Humble

I purchased HLS0003547 from Calmbach Motor Co. in San Antonio TX in July of 1970. I was a soon to be ETS'd SP5 at the Medical Field Service School (read about it in the novel M.A.S.H.!) and heading home to CA and grad school. Married, my wife and I drove it 91K miles until 1984, and began a complete restoration for my book "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car", California Bill's Auto Books, Tucson AZ. This has been in print for twenty years now, and brings me about a buck a day, still! We showed the car locally for a number of years, but back then a Japanese car didn't pack much punch at concours!

In about 1997 we had a financial crisis, and I had to sell 3547 back to Nissan USA ($12,000) for a display car while they were getting together their repop Z's to sell as new cars. It went to several auto shows, then was retired to their offices in Carson CA. Pete Brock told me that the green car had been sold to a private party about 2007, but I don't know who.

I'd like very much to find out where the car is now, and in whose hands. Nissan didn't notify me of it's availability or I might have tried to buy it back; it is a big piece of our family history! Is there any way to locate this particular Z-Car? Is there a Z Club member who has information about it's story after released by Nissan?

I'm building a silver '71 (the color I ordered -- if that can be what it was called in early 1970! -- in the first place; green was my second choice!) for the street but not as a pure stocker! My last big project before retiring from teaching.

I hope this qualifies as a Z-Car History topic!

• Like 1

Welcome to CZCC.com, Wick!

Any of us who have (or had) a copy of your book are familiar with that car - in print. Tracking it down might be tough, but it's possible that some of the members here may have a lead or two. Best of luck!

Hi Wick,

Do you know Carl Beck from Florida. He maintains a Z car registry at his site: http://zhome.com/ I looked but do not see your serial number listed. You might want to contact Carl as he knows a lot of the history of many early Z cars. He posts on this site. I to have a copy of your book and have referred to it many times. Thanks for taking the time to write that book.

Good luck with your search!

• Like 1

Welcome Mr H, and thanks for your book.

I purchased HLS0003547 from Calmbach Motor Co. in San Antonio TX in July of 1970.

That would be HLS30-003547 I think.

I'm available for proofreading duties if you publish again.... ;-)