IGNORED

[2012] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Arne

Returned Jan 1971 240z to its original owner after restoration. 500km drive to deliver. Enjoyable and very peppy motor.

Picked up a Dec 1971 240z to restore for myself. Only 86,000km. Very quiet differential and 1/2hafts...never ever experienced that. Motor purrs and it difficult to hear at idle. Some rust and bumps from over the years but solid and original. Was 112 Yellow but someone canned-it blue.

Not sure what colour to paint it. Japanese racing white maybe. I just plan to simply refresh the parts and plate all of the metal. I'll try to keep as much stock as I can. Still wondering if I should keep it electric lime.

attachment.php?attachmentid=56729&d=1349094218

attachment.php?attachmentid=56730&d=1349094285

post-7641-14150820577407_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150820578067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blue

congrats BLUE!

If you ever need any original OEM 71 parts, I have an entire very good running 71 block and head that ran very well before I installed my L28. Burns Zero oil and had great compression.

Let me know how the restoration goes! Also have an extra spook without brake ducts if you want to install that. But its 901 silver

WOW Thanks! Please send me pics if you can. I may be in Houston in November :)

If I can reciprocate I will.

I drove the red 71 for 500km with the spook @ 70-80mph and immediately after the blue 71 w/o the spook for the same time and speed. The spook really makes a difference, especially when passing big rigs; not so floaty.

I drove my Z to the local Ace Hardware store to pick up a couple of things today. While I was in line to pay, an older gentleman asked if anybody drove the 260Z in the parking lot. I mentioned it was mine, and he said that someone was saying he was a previous owner of the car.

I walked out to the parking lot and met Randall. He said he bought the car in California and brought it with him when he moved to Georgia. That matched the verbal history given to me by the seller. We chatted about the car for a while, and I let him look it over. He bought the car in 1985 with over 150K miles on the clock and sold it in 1994. He was the third owner of the car, buying it and selling it for $2000. He recognized many of the modifications I made to the car, as well.

And to think that it was a last minute decision to take the Z instead of my daily driver.

Ordered up some stainless braided brake hoses by Russell. Hopefully I'll get home for the weekend to get them installed to satisfy the inspection! Maybe I will get to go for a drive before it snows out after all. The inspection facility was quoting about $550 bucks to change out the four hoses with OE stuff... Hopefully it only takes an hour to change and bleed.. Crosses-fingers in hopes of no seized or rotted fittings :)

oranngetang make sure you get a good brake / tube wrench (I recommend craftsman) otherwise you can round fitting and it can ruin your day. I have also found that speeder bleeders work fantastic and I can bleed the brakes with one person in minutes.

Well, what I did was discover that two days ago, in the pouring rain, I had forgotten to turn off my headlights and when I wanted to drive it to work it was stone cold dead. So what i did today is jump start it and pull it in up close to where I could put the bettery on a charger. ;)

Steve: How cool is that! Some years ago I was driving my TR8 up Highway 515 in Gilmer County when a guy in a pickup truck beeps and starts waiving. It was the guy I had bought the 8 from some years earlier. We pulled to the side of the riad and spent a nice time chatting.

Edited by jaltman

Hi all,

I went to sync the carbs after a failed start and noticed both carbs were overflowing gas out of the bottom of the carb where the nozzle is. That got my attention as visions of an engine fire or a garage fire went through my mind. I have a cutoff circuit that cuts off the fuel pump if the engine stops and this may have prevented a fire. The PO had converted to an electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator. As both carbs were overflowing that seemed to point to something in common so I took the pressure regulator apart. For some reason the allen screw that aligns the pressure so that a knob indicated 3 PSI really is 3 PSI had no setscrew and could be turned easily with my fingernail. It had turned by itself over time and began allowing most of the fuel pump pressure to go through unimpeded to the carbs. I don't know if the setscrew fell out when I disassembled the regulator or if the factory forgot to put one in. I did replace the regulator with a new one for safety but took the old one and intentionally damaged the threads of the allen screw to keep it from easily turning and reassembled the old regulator aligning it to proper pressure by use of a fuel pressure gauge while blowing in the regulator inlet. I need more work like this I never could quite hit 3 PSI.

post-18366-1415082076136_thumb.jpg

post-18366-14150820760641_thumb.jpg