IGNORED

...Barely getting fuel...

killerzombie

my 260z will start and turn over a few times but then dies. if i spray carb cleaner it will run longer but die once all is burnt up. i believe that during start up it only uses the mechanical pump, and the electrical pump kicks in during higher revs. The mechanical fuel pump is filled with gas and the carb floats are wet but not full with gas. i checked the carb and E/pump filters and cleaned them. the electrical fuel pump reads about 6.8 ohms and is getting voltage. The only strange thing i have found is there are 30.3 ohms of resistance from the positive side of the fuel sender to chases ground. Any ideas why i cant get the fuel to run? i dont think its the electric pump but then again i am a nubbie :P

The reasons could be many. Fuel tank dirty. Fuel sending unit rusted and clogged. Float needles not working properly. Collapsed fuel hose.

Disconnect your fuel line just before your carbs and turn overthe motor to see if fuel is coming out at a reasonable rate. You need to use the process of elimination to narrow down the causes. Start there then report back!

I had a similar problem this summer. My electric fuel pump quit working and acted as a restriction in the line. My mechanical pump wasn't working good enough to get fuel past it.

I removed the electric pump and replaced the mechanical and all is well. Also if you have access to an air compressor it couldnt hurt to disconnect the fuel line at the tank and the filter and blow out the hard line.

Thanks everyone .....i have it working now, but what would you consider a reasonable amount of fuel for turning over the engine. i think my mechanical pump is getting to old because its not making much suction when i press down on its arm and it doesnt pump out what in my mind would be reasonable...