IGNORED

280z with sloped hatch deck

grantf

According to the microfiche, your car would be an early 77 as I thought. It shows a 1977 as 8/76 to 7/77 and 350001 to 420000. How did it get registered as a 78?

I made that same observation a while back when I met Grant at a Nissan meet. I was curious when I noticed an N42 intake, looking very original and stock, along with a lot of other details on his car that aren't consistent with a 78.

Who knows? These are old cars, that most likely have a history before we aquire them...hard to say what PO's have done...

Steve, about the two-factory/two-style thing, I'm not saying the two styles are raised and not raised. I'm saying the two styles are raised/flat and raised/sloped. This is what was told to me by someone else (can't remember who) in a similar thread I started long ago. Supposedly it was about two different factories of origin. One produced the sloped raised hatch floor, and one produced the flat raised hatch floor. I have no idea whether this is correct, but nobody said anything different at the time.

Grant, if I were you, I'd take out the false floor (and bulky "space-saving" spare) before I'd modify to the flat style. There is SO MUCH wasted space from that hatch floor. I swear I could almost use my '75 as a tiny pickup truck back in the day. I mean I could get a WHOLE LOT of stuff into that hatch. What I have now, in my '78, is tiny by comparison.

I am not sure why my car is titled as a 78, It was when I purchased it (for $300.00 :D). At first I thought it was a 78 till I was pointed out at the Z meet up that it did not match his. It makes sense also because my alternator was originally externally regulated and has since been converted to an internal regulator (Zs were external till 78). In addition my efi system matches a 77 not a 78. It has solved a lot of mysteries since I started to examine the 77 FSM instead of the 78 :stupid:

Edited by grantf
speelllings

Well I'll be horn swaggled..

Ok, I'm now an official believer that there are in fact two kinds of raised 77-78 rear hatch areas, one flat with a regular tail light trim panel, and one sloped with hidden tail light access area with no trim panel.

While I have personally only seen the sloped type, and did not believe in the existence of the other or thought that those who claimed to have seen a flat one also believe that the earth is flat, my eyes have been opened as I have now seen an un-retouched photo graphic evidence of the flat type.

There is a lovely 78 for sale, just placed in the classified, with a nice picture of his hatch area (the very last one), with the hinged portion of the raised floor open for all to see. And there it is in all its beautiful flat-ness, with even the tail light trim panel in plain view.

Halleluia!

Jim

Edited by zKars

zKars, You seem to be on the on the other side of the spectrum than TomoHawk. You have only seen the sloped type and Tomohawk has only seen the flat type. Hmmm perhaps different factories shipped to different regions, who knows. Oh well there you go. Thanks again for the pics anyone else?