IGNORED

help, 240 parked 15 years non-op

mikegh

LOL. It would be nice to find it a good home. My dad used to tease me when we talked on the phone, that he could hear it crying out in the garage late at night. He knew how much I loved it back in the day.

If you hold good title to it, I'm pretty certain that there are no fees for an out-of-state buyer. They give you money, you give them the signed-off title and a bill of sale and they take it to their own DMV, where no one cares about California's back regs. BTDT.

Edited by Arne

Can you apply for a lost title thru the AZ DMV, so in the meantime if someone from the forum does buy the car (or "relieve" you of it) then they would have at least something to present to the CA DMV? You have the VIN and you know you're the owner of record right? I heard Arizona's DMV is a lot more user-friendly than the golden state's.

Not long ago I helped a guy with his Z that sat for 12 years. Pulled the plugs and shot some ATF in the holes and let it set for over night. Changed the oil and filter , put it in gear and rocked it back and forth to turn the engine over. disconnected the fuel line at the filter up front and with fresh gas and good battery started it right up. If you do this hold the RPM to around 1200 or so and

watch the temp and oil pressure. Keep it running untill it is warmed up. Let it cool down and start it again. Now when we were

rocking the car to be sure it was not locked up and prior to start up, I removed the valve cover and watched for a any stuck valves. Do this also prior to installing the plugs and do turn the engine over with the starter.

My last registration on the '71 was $68, including $11 in county (Contra Costa) fees. So even if dmv charges you 160% it should not be that bad. For those that don't know Martinez is also in Contra Costa county. Now if you did not keep the non op paid up the fines may be more serious.

Edited by jwtaylor

Mike, I think it's going to depend on how picky the person is at DMV. I looked into this once for a car that hadn't been registered in California since 1996. The person I spoke with said as long as it wasn't touching the ground then past reg fees didn't apply. So, I said if I brought a picture of the car up on 4 blocks would that be proof and he said, yep, that would do it. You did say it hasn't touched the ground in 15 years, right????

Bobc I like your thinking!

I have heard of many many Z's starting right up with just the basic drain, change and tlc, and it sounds like it's not gonna cost too much.

If you still want to just get rid of it, you can add me to the list of people who would be interested in taking it off your hands. I'm right over here in AZ.

I'm driving up there on the 16th do do some work on the house. Perhaps I'll apply your

suggestions and try to get it running. Wonder if the old gas in the tank is a problem?

Maybe I should get my girl to film it all and post to youtube, for a laugh if nothing else...

Can you apply for a lost title thru the AZ DMV, so in the meantime if someone from the forum does buy the car (or "relieve" you of it) then they would have at least something to present to the CA DMV? You have the VIN and you know you're the owner of record right? I heard Arizona's DMV is a lot more user-friendly than the golden state's.

I'm a dummy...I thought Martinez was in Arizona.