IGNORED

Half shaft ujoint... Kaboom

Ptero

I replaced the outer ujoint on the half shaft of my '73 z about a month and a half ago. Today it totally let loose. I can't help but think I did something wrong but I just don't know what.

The ujoint was pressed in by a local machine shop and I'm unsure if I should bring it back there. It looks as though 3 of the 4 "plugs" that hold the ujoint in are gone. I found one sitting on the control arm and part of it is bust off. (picture below)

Any insight/thoughts on what may have gone wrong would be appreciated so I don't make the same mistake twice.

Sorry for the poor photo/video. Couldn't really see anything as it was dark and raining.

post-20606-14150815762005_thumb.jpg

post-20606-14150815762374_thumb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc8uT_S6vG4

Edited by Ptero
Added pictures

not sure the video helps at all. The photo is more than enough. From what I can tell the bearings flew off. Those are bearings, not plugs. they are held in by clips. were they not installed afer pressing them in? You do not need a machine shop to replace these. you can use a c clamp. Hard to tell but if the clips were not put in that would explain why they flew outwards.

As grantf mentioned, it looks as though the retaining clips were not installed by the shop or they were not installed properly?

There is no reason for all caps to fly off otherwise.

You are lucky they didn't change your propeller/drive shaft or wheels.

This is unfortunately why it is best to roll up your sleeves, buy the tools, and do your own work. You can not trust most mechanics these days.

Edited by Blue

I recently replaced all the half shaft u-joints on my 73. When I went looking for parts my regular store only had a pair so I went to Napa to get the other two. The the pair that i got from Napa (sorry forget the brand) upon installation the metal on the inside of the groove on the cup crumbled like a cracker. You could almost chip it off with your finger nail. When I compared the two different brands side by side the pair that were falling apart had a much thinner strip of metal interior to the clip. This coupled with what appeared to me to be poor casting resulted in them being total crap. I took them back to napa and got my money back. I've never had a u-joint crumble like these and I wasn't being particularly harsh beating on them either. Your second picture looks just like mine.