IGNORED

Need Help: Fried Something.

ksbeta

Anyone have a spare engine harness lying around for a Feb'70 240z? Hah!
No, my spare harness is from a 4/71. You'd have to re-wire the whole car to use that.

If it was the dash harness that was damaged, I'd be more concerned. The engine compartment harness is a much easier project. It's easier to remove from the car, and far less complex. Even if you had to replace several wires, that wouldn't be all that bad.

1) The FSM I'm using is for Late '71. That solves the question of why I couldn't find it.

2) Arne - There appears to be no damage to the dash harness. In fact, other than the radio (lights up, but that's all. Didn't work before anyway) everything is functioning correctly. So despite this destructive set-back, the project has still been mostly successful. I'm glad the engine harness is much simpler, and you're right - I only knocked out one wire (that I know of), so once I identify where it goes, I should be able to fix it easily.

3) Mike - The Four-Prong connector (Shown below) comes through the firewall into the passenger's footwell. I suspect this is (lucky for me, right?) one of those vestiges of the early harness, as the '71 FSM doesn't show any wires of this color (in this location, in a 4-prong connector). As for where the wires go, I'm not sure. They wrap up into the dash harness, and unfortunately I'd already spent the 1.5 hours putting the dash back on, so I wasn't quite ready to pull it back off to trace the wire. I'm hoping that if I can track down the right diagrams I can figure it out. I'll investigate the wire tracker, though considering what I did to that harness, I may outsource my electrical work from now on.

Everything seems strong, and other than not turning over it cranks just fine. I'm wondering if I flooded the engine. If, in fact, the wire I fried was simply the Fog-Light option wire, then I haven't destroyed the ignition system. The only argument against this is the fact that I've never had the car not fire up, and I'm sure I've inadvertently flooded it before.

Thanks again everyone, hope you had pleasant weekends.

Cheers,

Bill

post-21817-1415081560795_thumb.jpg

Edited by ksbeta

Heat wave doesn't make sitting the the 100-degree garage contorting the body to work on wiring sound very fun. I'll try and locate that earlier FSM for clues, and if someone has insight on what the heck that red wire might go to, I'm all ears.