IGNORED

Part identification, carbs.. sad 240 story too.

robftw

background story, this 73 240z has been on craigslist for the past 2 years.

I've seen it there when looking for engine parts but never bothered to go check it out until today.

The car had a tree fall on it, right above the rear hatch near the driver side triangle, it looks like the sheet metal separated from itself inside the car, i think it is un fixable because of where the damage is. it appears the area above hatch has caved in on the top of the car, and the hatch will not open more than 6'' I have taken a few photographs to share with you all.

The absolute sad part about all of this, is the interior is immaculate, it has an uncacked dash, 71k original miles. There is no rust under the body or under the seats. (frame rail is bent from bad jack position though)

It's a really sad, and i want to buy it even though i know it will probably never see the street again.

The owner has a bunch of extra parts, lights, bumpers, carbs... which is where i need your help.

Body damage

WP_001184.jpg

WP_001185.jpg

WP_001186.jpg

WP_001188.jpg

Weber carbs, i didnt notice until after i took the picture that the serial was blurry! This is 1 of 2 carbs i need help identifying it comes with circular mesh and air cleaner covers. There are two of them, and what looked like a two large diameter pipes to connect them to the manifold ( i dont know what this part is called forgive me)

WP_001191.jpg

WP_001192.jpg

WP_001193.jpg

WP_001194.jpg

Dash board

WP_001190.jpg

WP_001198.jpg

Carb 2 of 2, says redline on the airbox

WP_001187.jpg

I don't think it would be all that difficult to locate a shell if you wanted to graft one on, (I have one out here in California). I would imagine that, even on the east coast, most cars that are rusted underneath would have decent sheet metal on top.

The carbs are Weber 32/36 DGVs. Decent carburetors, not very well suited to the L6 with the funky intake manifold though. Pretty common on 70's 4 cylinders.

I bet that car could be fixed with a donor roof and hatch, and maybe a little beating on the 1/4 panel.

The carbs are Weber 32/36 DGVs. Decent carburetors, not very well suited to the L6 with the funky intake manifold though. Pretty common on 70's 4 cylinders.

I bet that car could be fixed with a donor roof and hatch, and maybe a little beating on the 1/4 panel.

Thanks, do you know anything about the redline carbs on the engine? Previous owner said the exhaust manifold or intake had to be modified... this was 20 years ago so he doesnt remember very well. ive attached another picture of the carbs on the engine.

And i think that car could be fixed, the hatch doesn't look bent i think its just the roof.

i've completely cut out the floors in my car and replaced both those and the frame rails, but i dont think i could handle this roof job.. and it will be expensive...

post-22536-14150815598578_thumb.jpg

The un-cracked dash alone is worth over $1K. Can't tell much else about the condition of the console and the rest of the interior, but many of these parts and the glass have value. If the bumpers are straight, they are worth about $300+, depending on their condition. Other "original" parts, if in good condition, have value as well.

If you can find documentation showing the car truely has only 71K on the clock, the engine & drive train should be in pretty good shape as well.

If you can get it for under $2,000, it's probably still a good buy as a parts car. Find a car with a good body but trashed interior and build one good one.

Edited by Oiluj

Those also look like DGV's.

I don't think the roof is as big a deal as you're making it out to be. 2 solutions would be to cut the entire roof down to the 1/4 off of another car and weld it on--this would get you the map bar underneath without having to try and fix the old one, or just cutting the skin off of a roof and fixing the stuff underneath and welding it on and pulling the map light and all that back into shape. Someone here did a roof skin and posted pictures (Arne???). Lots of guys cut the roof off for building roll cages.

Hmm, maybe its worth the investment, the guy wants 1000$ for it and all of the parts associated with it.

The only problem i saw with it is it has a salvaged title, under the notes section it had rear end "tail light damage" - Replaced and fixed" The title is from 1986, the guy bought it for 300$ at an auction.

The engine does run very well, however it only starts when the carbs are primed. He said he drained the gastank so either 1) particles are blocking the filter (i didnt look) or 2 fuel pump needs help

These are very rare down here.

Even in this condition, if the rest is rust free, it's a cheap 240. $1000-buy it.

Put round top SUs on it.

I've got a lightly modified l28 i would put in it.. But i really dont trust myself to be able to fix the roof... and paying thousands of dollars to the body shop is out of the question

• 3 weeks later...