IGNORED

Wiring Harness: A few questions

ksbeta

I've thanked you guys plenty for all your help, but I should also take a minute to thank Mike for maintaining the site, the means by which I'm able to rack your brains.

So I pulled my dash harness, repaired the oddities, and with the Factory Service Manual in-hand, I've gone about the task of re-attaching it. In this process, a few questions have arisen:

1) What is this 2-prong connector? I'd normally assume Power/Ground, but it's the only T-type I found on the dash. I located it in the FSM, but it doesn't identify where it connects to. I'm having trouble attaching photos via the URL, so I'm going to have to do them by uploading... not sure what order they'll come out in. The T-type is circled in red.

2) The other photo with something circled in red shows two wires taped to the stock harness. Were these the wires that Datsun put in for fog lights? I'm asking not because I want to use them for Fog lights, but to make sure I didn't forget to hook something back up.

3) The Third picture shows a piece of the fusebox in the background. The 'fuse holder' that comes out of the radio... is this a noise suppressor? And, is it typically just grounded? Bonus points if you can tell me what that blue wire with the bullet-type connector should go to.

4) Finally, I've got a few of these spare power/grounds lying around. I know my glove-box light isn't hooked up yet (someone ripped the leads off the switch and sodering isn't going well) but otherwise I think everything else is back. I must have missed something...

Thanks,

post-21817-14150815561284_thumb.jpgpost-21817-14150815561284_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150815561615_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150815561821_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150815562038_thumb.jpg

Bill:

First off, remember that it helps to identify your car's year / date of Manufacture in your post or in your signature so that people don't have to do a lot of research to help you.

Next, when asking wiring questions, you'll find that you get better answers if you cite the color(s) of the wires going into the connector AND where they are coming from or located in the car. Some of these are rather plain vanilla questions.... if we knew the colors of the wires.

Cite the main color first, followed by the color of the strip (if any). That is Green/White or Red/Blue.

Take note that Datsun used the letter L for the color BLUE in their wiring diagram and B was used for BLACK. This is to help you identify an R/L wire as a Red/Blue and not something else.

Those wires taped to the main harness with blue tape are typically the "option" wires. Since these are in the general center of the dash (apparently) those would probably be the ones for the Fog Lamp Switch, although there is also a pair of wires for the Fuel Pump Fuse (which again, depends on which year car you have and whether it used one).

Hope this helps

E

E,

That does help, and sorry about that. After having your head inside the dashboard for about ten hours, it's easy to forget not everyone is on the same page. I don't have the wire colors handy, nor can I properly discern from the photos. I'll have to get back to you this weekend. The car is Feb/'70 and I believe this harness to be original.

"Option Wires" has a nice ring to it. That confirms my supicions on those. Thanks again, E,

Bill

I "think" the T-type two pronged connector is for the factor radio. I have a 10/70 car without a factory radio, so I am not sure. However, I have an early Z radio from another car (unknown year) that has the matching T connector coming out of the radio

#1 looks like your Fuel Pump connector. It gets a fused loop connector to make the pump work.

#2 Looks like the correct area for the fog light switch wires (one red and one green/white)

#3 I think those were slow blow fuses. Protects the radio from surges. and the other obvious use.

Bottom picture looks like the cigarette lighter + wire.

Almost ANY wires that are taped to a harness with BLUE tape, are optional wires. ie: fog lights, fuel pump, A/C, Door panel lights. (You might find a red/blue or green/white wire near each door on the harness but they are unused Door light wires that were never ran on the early Z's. I rebuild harnesses, so I speak from experience.

I'm sure it was said, but always list the build date when you're asking questions of an electronic nature. They made so many changes over the years that you have to be specific. If you're Z is an early 240Z, then the last picture is likely the lighter wire.

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

#1 looks like your Fuel Pump connector. It gets a fused loop connector to make the pump work. Dave

He said a 2/70 build date. I don't think that a 2/70 has an electic fuel pump, so I think this connector is for something else. As I said, I think it matches the connector on the factory radio. I will check again when I get home.

He said a 2/70 build date. I don't think that a 2/70 has an electic fuel pump, so I think this connector is for something else. As I said, I think it matches the connector on the factory radio. I will check again when I get home.

I've read from multiple sources that the fuel pump wiring was in the early 240Zs even though they did not have fuel pumps.

It IS a fuel pump connector. You can clearly see the Green wire on 1 terminal of the T connector.

I too have an Early 70' 240Z and it has the optional connector and if he looks near the fuel tank, he'll find that same green wire taped to the fuel level sending unit harness.

No S30 radio ever used a Green wire, especially one that looks to be about 16 or 14 gauge. As I said, it's an Optional wire and connector.

Dave

Dave, SteveJ, CoopDog - Thank you!

Dave, I did fail to mention the build date, etc. right off the bat. I appreciate the help just the same.

I feel a lot more confident now that I've put this harness back in properly. I'll need to wire up the cigarette lighter. Then find a good cigar.

As for the T-Connector, I DID put in an electric fuel pump later-on, perhaps I'll utilize this connector rather than how it's hooked up currently. Seems mildly appropriate.

With regards to the 'slow blow' fuses on the radio - is that wire ultimately grounded? I'm putting a '72 Radio into my '70, and am attempting to do so without hacking my harness at all. The body harness (in the passengers foot-well) has a 4-prong connector with Two Speaker wires, and two power wires for the antenna. They don't have the 'slow fuse' wire, so I'm a bit confused as to where they'd go.

Once again - seriously - thank you.

The Antenna is grounded at the antenna so there won't be a ground wire in the kick panel harness.

If you use the stock electric fuel pump wires, just make a fused Loop at that connector. That will connect the fuel pump wire to the fusebox. Use a 15 amp fuse, I believe.

That fuse is not grounded. Just turn the key on and test it with a test light. It could be blown so test both ends that go into the fuse holder. The stock radio is grounded by bolting it to the body when it's installed. If it has a black wire, then ground that as well.

The antenna wires go into a 3-way toggle switch above or beside the radio. ON-OFF-ON or Up and Down with a nuetral middle.

Dave