IGNORED

240z FRONT Tow Hook

texasz

Can someone post pix of how/where the front tow hook mounts please? I have the hook (not the flat stock with a hole in it, the actual hook) and need to know where the bolt that holds it in place is located so I can mount it.

The cast hook is/was NOT a tow hook as such. It was a shipping tie down and was supposed to have been removed by the selling dealer during PDI, before delivery to the original buyer. Take a look at this thread, starting with post #20.

The cast hook is/was NOT a tow hook as such. It was a shipping tie down and was supposed to have been removed by the selling dealer during PDI, before delivery to the original buyer. Take a look at this thread, starting with post #20.

You forgot the link to the thread. ;)

Yes, don't ever tow a Z from these points!

I saw a friends brake loose when the towing vehicle turned at low speed. Good thing it happened before on the highway.

Yes, I agree that's why I have a trailer and need the hook to winch the car up on the trailer with.

The name that they are known by is misleading indeed, my intent certainly is not to tow the car by this hook. :)

The cast hooks are also left & right. I think some years and different models of Datsun's had variations of sizes and shapes. I now have collected several that did not match in size or shape, even one that is about 4" long, for the really BIG Datsun's. :)

Bonzi Lon

And still no one answers the poor man's question. There are two holes each side on the bottom of the rad support, about even with the inner fenders left and right, where the hooks mount.
True. But my question would be - why mount it? If it's in a quest for "originality", it is a mis-placed quest as none of us were ever supposed to have them in the first place. Their presence on a car is/was direct evidence that the car was not correctly prepped prior to delivery.

Add to that the fact that they have no function or purpose once the car was rolled off the boat, and they become (to me) just ugly, dirt-catching bits.

Edited by Arne

True. But my question would be - why mount it? If it's in a quest for "originality", it is a mis-placed quest as none of us were ever supposed to have them in the first place. Their presence on a car is/was direct evidence that the car was not correctly prepped prior to delivery...and they become (to me) just ugly, dirt-catching bits.

If you happen to have the hooks, why not mount them? Of course you would have to take them off if you are entering your car to be judged, because like you said they were not supposed to be there in the first place. However, there are other original parts, such as splash pans, that were original on some cars have been tossed in the past. My point is that we should save Z parts and with the modifications people make here and there, I think a hook is not a big deal. My Z had the hook in the front (was probably used in towing because valance is dented) and I even saved the back 2 hooks off of a '73 in a junkyard. Once prepped, primed and painted black I am sure they will look great :)

post-21059-14150815356784_thumb.jpg

post-21059-14150815355987_thumb.jpg

post-21059-14150815356407_thumb.jpg

Edited by Decoy12

..... Of course you would have to take them off if you are entering your car to be judged, because like you said they were not supposed to be there in the first place.

My comment probably doesn’t belong on this thread, but I thought this statement was interesting. Removing the hook because it “wasn’t supposed to be there” would open up quite a can of worms if someone was really serious about this concept. Does this line of thinking include the runs in the original paint? I am guessing those weren’t supposed to be there. And believe me they are all over the place: on the engine block, battery cover panel, lower valence, radiator support, etc. What about the overspray on the motor? Was that supposed to be there? And how about undercoating. Mine never came with it. Is undercoating “supposed to be there”? I am sure there is much more that I am overlooking on this subject.

Personally, I think all of those original items that “weren’t supposed to be there” are what make the car VERY COOL. I wouldn’t remove any of them or change any of them for a judge or a show (Although, I have cleaned up some of the motor items out of personal preference- I’m questioning that decision now). I love the drips, the inspection marks, the overspray. It’s a nice contrast to today’s cookie cutter cars that all just kind of look the same.

Anyway, as time goes on, I am drawn to these original and unique items of the car. It represents history and change. Just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone (Obviously I am getting old here).

Peace out,

Rich

Hi Rich,

My take on what you have mentioned is, if paint runs, overspray, orange peel, inspection marks, etc., were not supposed to be there, factory quality control processes would have remedied these flaws prior to shipping. Concours events for such iconic cars as Corvette take great pains in duplicating these for total originality. As Carl Beck mentioned the tie-down hooks were the same as plastic covers for door panels, bags for hub caps and set belts, etc., all meant to get the care safely and undamaged to the dealship, but "weren't supposed to be there" for ultimate delivery to the customer. I am sure that there was a factory directive listing processes to be completed for preparing a car for sale probably including removing these tie-down hooks. As for undercoating, my car arrived at the dealership sans any undercoating. My dealership offered a process called Z-Bart rust protection.

I definitely see your point though, Rich, as the stated mantra for judging concours stock class is, "AS IT LEFT THE FACTORY" which could be possibly clarified to answer our questions for these hooks.

Just my opinion, and not based on any factual information.

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z