IGNORED

Removing aftermarket steering wheel: How do I remove this part?

KDMatt

Hey guys, it's been a good long while since I've posted a question in here, but I'm hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction.

When I bought my car, it came with a RAID brand steering wheel that has slowly been disintegrating/wearing out year by year.

I'm finally looking to put something more modern on it, but I'm not in the mood to drop the $$$ for a brand new RAID or NARDI wheel.

That being what it is, I've decided that I want to put a Grant wheel adapter on there, but this (obviously) entails removing the old hub adapter/spacer so I can put a new one on.

I'm down to the point where there's nothing else that bolts off (wheel's gone, spacer's gone), but I think there's still a piece that needs to be removed. I'm not quite sure how though. I'm attaching a pic so you can all be spared my attempt at an explanation.

If you folks would be kind enough to point me the right way, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

post-8319-14150814914114_thumb.jpg

Boy, I hope that is NOT weld bead....

It seems like it could be the marks from a type of lock washer where the outside is smooth, but the inside edge (ID) is starred and "sawlike". Don't know the specific name for it, but it's a common type of lock washer used with steering wheels.

Anyhow, if it IS what I presume, then you only need to use a standard pulller to pull on the large diameter flange while pushing on the steering column shaft.

E

Escanlon, you are correct.

They're little grooves for a lock washer, it is not a weld (mercifully).

Okay, so you're saying there's some kind of tool I can rent, specifically designed to pull steering hubs? That would explain a lot. :stupid:

Yes to renting- AutoZone, Advance or whatever chain is prevalent in your region. Chain stores in this area 'rent' you the tool by selling it to you and credit you when you return it.

Steering hub pullers generally have bolt pairs that thread into the hub, so be certain that any kit has the right thread size for your hub. Generic type pullers that have arms with hook/ fingers work. I have collected various types of pullers over the years that are usually interchanchable for different jobs.

Use some penetrant before you start.

Some advice when using any puller- safety goggles, gloves and stand aside when applying torque, particularly if it starts to require a lot of effort. I have seen pullers come apart violently or the hub suddenly release without warning. Use the nut to capture the hub on the shaft.

Can't get much cheaper than this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Performance-W150-Steering-Wheel-Puller/14698929#Specificationshttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Performance-W150-Steering-Wheel-Puller/14698929#Specifications

Actually, as I look at it better today, it might be that you have a steering wheel adapter that MAY be useable with your newer/different steering wheel. If you look at the flange hub, there are 5 bolt holes which are possibly in line with the bolt holes on the steering wheel you're looking at / have.

Since the main problem in changing steering wheels from the OEM to an aftermarket brand is the Adapter, you might be able to avoid that problem by using what you have.

Also, sometimes you can use the old steering wheel bolted to the adpater and while pulling hard on the steering wheel have someone rap briskly on the steering column with a mallet or other non-marring hammer to remove the wheel. You do NOT want to deform the end of the steering column. Also don't forget to do it with a nut on the end of it as mentioned above, otherwise you'll literally "eat" the steering wheel.

FWIW

E