IGNORED

Hagerty NAZI Gestapo/ Regular Insurance Dolts

Ben's Z

well it depends what you want from the insurance, if you want just minimum coverage to be able to drive legally then go with any insurance, my choice for collectors insurance is to be covered fully for the value of the car rather than blue book I would get from the generic insurance companies in the event of a loss

Collector car insurance is different than normal use insurance. If you plan to use your car as a normal car, you have to deal with normal insurance.

FWIW, I can't qualify for Hagerty either. I drive my car to work at least once per week. Difference is, I'm not upset at Hagerty - it's their rules, and I can't meet them.

Didn't know Barrett Jackson offered. Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know how regular insurance companies look upon "classic car" appraisals?

I don't think you understand the risk that Haggery is insuring. They are a specialty insurer and they can dictate the terms and risks that they will assume. Taking your car on a business trip or going to home depot exposes them to more risk than the occasional 3 day over night to a car show. The same can be said for driving to club events and club activities. Their in the business to make money and having your car exposed to xtra risk may cause them not to. If a theif wants to take your car from HD parking lot it would be assumed it is the only one there. If your on a car club run there are more cars like yours making it less likely it would be taken.

That said I went thru Barett-Jackson for my collector ins. Found them to be a bit more liberal in car usage than Haggerty.

Just my 2 cents woth.

FWIW, my State Farm agent told me that as soon as I'm done with my "restoration", get an appraisal from a third party collector car appraiser, document it and come back to them. He told me they will write the policy for the fair replacement value as an antique car. This is what I plan to do. Right now I just have liability on it until it's closer to completion.

FWIW, my State Farm agent told me that as soon as I'm done with my "restoration", get an appraisal from a third party collector car appraiser, document it and come back to them. He told me they will write the policy for the fair replacement value as an antique car. This is what I plan to do. Right now I just have liability on it until it's closer to completion.

Statefarm is the only one I have heard of doing this, but it probably wont be as cheap as collector's insurance

Grundy is working for me, only restriction is not to daily drive it to work, and since I work from home, no biggie for me.

Main thing for me was that they allowed me to insure my heavily modified 350Z since i had the 240Z and 300ZX insured with them, which with the years was making me nervous to have to live with blue book value in the event of a loss, this way I was able to insure for the full amount including value of modifications.

The words '' collector car '' here in B.C. Canada mean a car with only stock parts , and rarely ''period correct '' add ons will be allowed.

So a seperate appraisal must be done for MY car with a correct replacement value with NO collector plates . Yes way more expensive.

If you drive your '' stock '' car on Sundays , during the day , in sunny weather , 10 miles max , no passengers , under 50 mph , under

3000 revs , with original keys in the ignition , no bird sh!t on the windows , in the right hand lane only, you qualify for '' cheap plates ".

I guess the 'States has more competition in the insurance industry . Lucky ........

Ben,

I've found it also depends on "who you talk to" at Hagarty. My first conversation with one of their reps sounds alot like what you describe. After getting similar feedback from club members, I spoke to them again and got a much different feel from them.

For example, driving the car to work a couple times a month to show co-workers, (in a safe, relatively secure parking lot), was OK with them. Same was true for short pleasure road trips, (weekend or 3-4 days). They have no issue with driving at any time or any distance for club or classic car events. Basically, they just don't want you using it in on a regular basis in rush hour traffic or as a daily driver, where the risk of damage or loss is much higher...

I'd try speaking to Hagarty again, but modify your planned use a bit. My guess is you will probably find them pretty accomodating.

Coyze, Key (and perhaps intentional) words here are "fair replacement value". In my mind the term "fair replacement value" means middle blue book at best. I think the difference is that companies like Haggerty and the likes sell you "agreed value". That means that you present an appraisal, they look it over and you both agree that $XX,XXX.00 is the value of your car. In the event of a loss total loss you get paid that amount. No if's and's or but's.

I would clarify that with SF and make sure you have the coverage you were led to think you have. Up here in the mid-west SF is known for denying and reducing claims based on technicalities.

John

I have a stated value on my car of $18,500 with State Farm. All I had to do was get an independent appraisal with pictures. Most appraisals do cost if you go that route. For my stated value insurance I pay about $175 per year. The car must be garage kept and there is not any mileage limits that I know of.

The difference between pleasure driving, and utility driving, is the amount of time you spend near your car. When you go into a store, or work, your car is now alone and vulnerable. At a show or event, the car is surrounded by car people and much less likely to get harmed or stolen. Hagerty does not like when your car is vulnerable, for that matter, neither do I.

Think of it this way with just about any of the Classic Car insurers: They drew a sharp black line. They said 'no driving the car for daily commuting to work, no driving the car in speed contests.' You're trying to blur their sharp black line by saying 'well what if I drive it occasionally to work to see clients and such?' Insurers work off of statistics. They can tell pretty accurately what their risk of having to pay out is based on number crunching for particular types of driving. If you stray across their sharp black line, you increase their risk of having to pay out. Not going to happen. Your honesty is commendable but statisticians speak numbers not English.