IGNORED

Hagerty NAZI Gestapo/ Regular Insurance Dolts

Ben's Z

So as I am looking for insurance for my 280z I entered all my info on Hagerty, and a member of their Eastern Germany Stasi calls to talk to me. They had "questions" regarding use. I was honest and checked all the appropriate boxes. They asked about the "daily use" & "business use" boxes I checked. I said "If the weather is nice I would like to make day trips to Austin, TX to see customers/clients and whatnot, I wouldn't use the car for overnight trips etc." Hagerty:"Sorry sir we can't allow that." I said "I would use the car to make short trips to Home Depot on Saturday" Hagerty: "Sorry we cannot insure a car that will be in a parking lot for extended periods of time."

My questions is what in the hell are these guys doing for insurance on the "Hot Rod PowerTour" etc.?

My regular car insurance... The limp wrist on the phone asked if you spelled "Datsun" "Dotson". I should have hung up the phone right there. $400 a year extra with a $1000 deductible. For some reason he asked what in the hell the car cost when it was new.

So I can either a) enjoy the car with my regular insurance ($400 annually with $1000 deductible) or B) pull the car out of the garage and look at it with hagerty only when there is less than a 10% chance of rain and the temperature is between 55 and 85. Apparently driving a car with Hagerty is not an option. ($230 annually no deductible)

Hey Ben, You are the only person on this site who has not been OK with Hagerty. I have used them since 2005 and have been very satisfied. They do not want you driving to work, and your description sounds a lot like work. They don't want you parking at Home Depot on the weekends. They are NOT Nazis. I put about 1,000 miles a year on my car and they have no problems with that. I called them to see if driving from Colorado to California for the MSA show would be a problem and they said no, have a great time. It is not insurance for a daily driver. I think you are being totally unfair in your scathing description of Hagerty. I'm not sure if you are going to be satisfied with any insurance company, and you sure won't get any good coverage with your attitude. Lighten up, man. Just sayin'.

Cheers, Mike

Mike, I understand completely. I told them I have a 2007 Taurus that I use for primary use and business use. I work out of my home, I do not commute to any office at any time. Explain to me how making a trip to Austin, TX and back in 1 day is a higher insurance risk than you driving from CO to CA? I would leave the house at 9AM meet with my customer and be back by 4PM, what if a drive to a car show took that long? I see more chances for claims being filed because of the 'tards at the car show I attend every Saturday night leaning on, bumping in to, etc. etc. then some nice collector car parked way out away from everything else at (insert retail box store) once in awhile. I live in an areas that because of the weather permits year around driving, I don't think 7500 annual miles potentially is all that much. Hell I would take $500 or $1000 deductible if it allowed me to drive the car more. My Dad has both his cars insured with Hagerty a 1967 Oldsmobile 442 convertible and Factory 5 cobra. His house is less than 1 mile from his office where he owns part the building and has his own spot. Should be interesting to see what the Stasi says if he comes out and someone has backed into one of his cars sometime.

Hey Ben' date=' You are the only person on this site who has not been OK with Hagerty. I have used them since 2005 and have been very satisfied. They do not want you driving to work, and your description sounds a lot like work. They don't want you parking at Home Depot on the weekends. They are NOT Nazis. I put about 1,000 miles a year on my car and they have no problems with that. I called them to see if driving from Colorado to California for the MSA show would be a problem and they said no, have a great time. It is not insurance for a daily driver. I think you are being totally unfair in your scathing description of Hagerty. I'm not sure if you are going to be satisfied with any insurance company, and you sure won't get any good coverage with your attitude. Lighten up, man. Just sayin'.

Cheers, Mike[/quote']

Hagerty insurance isn't for everbody and definately not for the OP. I was insured by them for 12 years with no problems and their service was exemplary when my car got stolen. The car came better then it was before the claim.

Hey if anyone does not feel my arguments are valid feel free to exercise your 1st amendment rights. This is my first "collector car" and perhaps I "don't get it". Mind you I grew up in the midwest and understand that for basically 6 months a year you don't drive collector cars. I just don't see the difference in making a day trip in a car because I happen to have a laptop computer in the back instead of some detailing spray.

Ben, you can look at insurance the way I do. It's not a money saving thing on the part of the insured. Risks are carefully computed and entered into actuarial tables, and a premium is charged very comfortably in excess of expected claims. So if you can afford the loss of your car (not saying that you won't be sobbing like the speaker of the house), you're probably better off without collision coverage. I carry liability and comprehensive (not at all expensive -- covers things like vandalism, but might not cover me for my concept of what my car is worth), but I leave collision to the goddess of stochasm. I'm a careful driver, live in the country, don't subject my car to known risks (e.g. rush hour traffic), and don't log that many miles per year anyway, so my risks probably aren't even as high as would be reflected in the actuarial tables. If I wreck my car, I'll have zero grief with a claims adjuster and can repair my car as I see fit -- or not. Meanwhile, I'll have probably saved enough money on insurance premiums to cover the repairs.

This is an interesting thought. I just spoke with buyer at one of my bigger distributors about this insurance deal. He drives his little MG to work everyday in Longview TX. It is only about 4 miles to work for him. He said he does not carry any collision either on his car and figures he drives careful enough not warrant that. I may consider this route and see how my regular auto insurance adjusts my premium in that regard.

Ben, you can look at insurance the way I do. It's not a money saving thing on the part of the insured. Risks are carefully computed and entered into actuarial tables, and a premium is charged very comfortably in excess of expected claims. So if you can afford the loss of your car (not saying that you won't be sobbing like the speaker of the house), you're probably better off without collision coverage. I carry liability and comprehensive (not at all expensive -- covers things like vandalism, but might not cover me for my concept of what my car is worth), but I leave collision to the goddess of stochasm. I'm a careful driver, live in the country, don't subject my car to known risks (e.g. rush hour traffic), and don't log that many miles per year anyway, so my risks probably aren't even as high as would be reflected in the actuarial tables. If I wreck my car, I'll have zero grief with a claims adjuster and can repair my car as I see fit -- or not. Meanwhile, I'll have probably saved enough money on insurance premiums to cover the repairs.

I don't think you understand the risk that Haggery is insuring. They are a specialty insurer and they can dictate the terms and risks that they will assume. Taking your car on a business trip or going to home depot exposes them to more risk than the occasional 3 day over night to a car show. The same can be said for driving to club events and club activities. Their in the business to make money and having your car exposed to xtra risk may cause them not to. If a theif wants to take your car from HD parking lot it would be assumed it is the only one there. If your on a car club run there are more cars like yours making it less likely it would be taken.

That said I went thru Barett-Jackson for my collector ins. Found them to be a bit more liberal in car usage than Haggerty.

Just my 2 cents woth.

I carry comp and collision through State Farm on my 81 280ZXT with a mileage cap of 5K per year and a $500 deductible. The car is insured for a 10K replacement value should it be totaled. Premium is $130 a year and as long as I stay within the mileage cap there are no restrictions on when and where I drive the car.