IGNORED

Rota RB-R on 1970 240z

chachacourt

I looked at these on their website, the 17x7.5's seem to be RB's and the 17x8.5's are RB-R. If that is the case, the faces are going to look different, I hope they told you this before your purchased. Or you may know and don't care.

Post some pics when you get a chance

Edited by johnnyt

Hey guys, take a look at the wildwood brake upgrade. can someone advise if the wheels will clear the calipers. I think I mentioned it earlier but no one said anything about it. Please let me know if I will be needing spacers or does the wheels goes right on.

My wildwoods calipers are in a shop getting painted powder coated. I was able to find a yellow from the shop to match my Murcielago yellow to paint the calipers. I had called Lamborghini and they told me all their calipers are either powder or hot coated and that is the best and only way to do them right.

• 2 weeks later...

Chacha, Any news yet? I may be nearly as anxious as you are. I've been trying to figure out which sizes, and to find out differences between RB and RB-R. Now I'm thinking front 17x7.5 ET4 215/45 and rear 17x8.5 ET4 225/45 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Be sure to post some photos when you get yours done.

I'll tell you what I know(or I think I know). The difference in rb and rbr is the spoke design. The RB's have a curved spoke, while the RBR's have a flatter spoke design. Look at Hybridz site and start looking at the guys running the 9.5 widths--those are RBR's and have a flatter spoke. Mine are the 8.5's and were stated as RBR's , but when i got them the spoke was curved like the RB's-which have grown on me and now I'm glad I got them.

As far as size, you can fit 8.5's all the way around with some work. I'm running 245/45/17 on the 8.5 +4 and I had to roll the rear lips and also slot the strut holes by about 1/4" for the tires not to rub. The camber change is hardly noticable, but makes a huge change as far as rubbbing. Maybe with the 225 you will be alright.

Hope that helps

Hey Guys,

I got the Rota rb wheels yesterday and now shopping for tires. I am very excited about the wheels. I think that they will look sexxxy with the yellow on the car. I am now shopping for tires. The wheels did not come with lug nuts, therefore any information on how to get them in black quick for these wheels and 240z. I am thinking of going 225/40/16 rear and 215/40/16 front and then figure to lower the car to get about an inch of tire well. On a sad note, I also got the callipers back and the place I took them did a bad job. they painted everything including the pistons and the inside part where the pads are sits. where you bleed everything. a lot of the pistons were partialy out and my friend and I took the whole day yesterday cleaning and removing paints and getting the pistons to function. Be advised that I did not take the callipers to an under the tree kind of shop. The President told me that he was going to remove the paint and do it again and would make right on the job but after giving them only 4 callipers to paint and they took about two months and .... them up like that there is no way I was going to leave the calipers. I am very pissed off about people not doing what they were told to do and get paid. I n the calipers photo file you will see the works being done by my mechanic/body to remove the paints and free the cylinders.

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p450/chachacourt1/new%20wheels/

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p450/chachacourt1/calipers/

Thanks, madkaw, for the RB/RBR info. Sorry to hijack the thread, but this has been a good thread with helpful information. I didn't do well with the Rota site, which doesn't seem to answer questions, so sent me to racinglab.com, which seemed somewhat illiterate or unwilling to answer a direct question, nor with 18racing, which didn't bother to return my request for information, so I'm back to wondering if the Rotas are so desirable, if they don't have photos, specifications, or intelligent people who are willing to clearly answer a potential customer's questions. I am ready to order a set of wheels, but they aren't getting my money if they can't do business properly. "Caveat emptor," I suppose is the wise way to do business. So, thank you for confirming my suspicions about the design differences. It would make sense when offering a "stagger package" which incorporates two widths, that both widths would be the same design of wheel, spokes and all, but these distributors apparently haven't figured that out. The only difference should be the width of the rim. For my own part, I think the less curved spokes of the RBR look a bit more "sleek" than the more curved, which would resemble the Panasports or Minilites they've knocked off, but as you say, I might get used to the more curved spoke design. I haven't given up on matching the RBR in 17x7.5 and 8.5 just yet; maybe like most things, if I keep at it, it will happen. Anybody have more information about Rotas? Sorry chacha for the painter's idiocy. I feel your pain. But, your wheels look nice, are those RBR or RB? I could live with those for sure! They will look great on the yellow!

Edited by alternativez

On a side note... Rota has announced their Watanabe RS-copy!

I present to you... Rota Fast Forwards :) Should be out this year? I'd spend $600 on these wheels all day over $2,400 Watanabes that are prone to cracking and chipping. The spokes also look more accurate than Konig's copy.

newrota.jpg

Per this thread: http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=45651

Edited by spitz17

Thanks, madkaw, for the RB/RBR info. Sorry to hijack the thread, but this has been a good thread with helpful information. I didn't do well with the Rota site, which doesn't seem to answer questions, so sent me to racinglab.com, which seemed somewhat illiterate or unwilling to answer a direct question, nor with 18racing, which didn't bother to return my request for information, so I'm back to wondering if the Rotas are so desirable, if they don't have photos, specifications, or intelligent people who are willing to clearly answer a potential customer's questions. I am ready to order a set of wheels, but they aren't getting my money if they can't do business properly. "Caveat emptor," I suppose is the wise way to do business. So, thank you for confirming my suspicions about the design differences. It would make sense when offering a "stagger package" which incorporates two widths, that both widths would be the same design of wheel, spokes and all, but these distributors apparently haven't figured that out. The only difference should be the width of the rim. For my own part, I think the less curved spokes of the RBR look a bit more "sleek" than the more curved, which would resemble the Panasports or Minilites they've knocked off, but as you say, I might get used to the more curved spoke design. I haven't given up on matching the RBR in 17x7.5 and 8.5 just yet; maybe like most things, if I keep at it, it will happen. Anybody have more information about Rotas? Sorry chacha for the painter's idiocy. I feel your pain. But, your wheels look nice, are those RBR or RB? I could live with those for sure! They will look great on the yellow!

Hey Brother,

P.O. Number Terms Rep Ship

5/13/2011

Via F.O.B. Project

Thank you for your business. Mounted wheels are not returnable.

Total

Quantity Item Code Description Price Each Amount

4 RBR1684114.310F... RBR16X8 4X114.3 +10 73 FLT BLK 162.50 650.00

3/28/2011 325

Out-of-state sale, exempt from sales tax 0.00% 0.00

I copied and paste exactly from the invoice sheet; therefore, they are RBR's.

Thanks for feeling my pains. A lot of my friends suggested I made them buy me new calippers, but I just want to get this all done and maybe in the future I will find a reputable company or buy them all done the way it was meant to be done.