IGNORED

260Z Transmission - Keep, Sell or Toss

fixitman

I've been asked to move my early '74 260Z 4-speed transmission to my house. Before I go thru the trouble, I'm wondering what I should do with it. The trans has been in storage since the 80's.

Keep, sell or toss? Value? Your thoughts?

Thanks,

FixItMan

If it's been in storage since the 80s then it has lower miles on it than most, a good thing. But there are 4 speeds for sale all over the place, as people take them out in favor of 5 speeds. Check CL in your area, or just throw an ad up. Someone might buy it just for the low mileage.

I have a 4 speed in my garage myself, keeping it as a spare. I replaced it with a 5 speed.

Unless you have a need for it (your car has nothing at this time) sell it if you can. I took 5 to the recycle yard about 6 weeks ago. Got something like $90 for all 5 plus a couple of motors. Zero market for a 4 speed unless someone is setting along the road.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could get it. The fact that the early 4 speeds are less desirable just makes it that much easier for me to get one. I was in the market for a Type A 4 speed for mine as a spare. People were just giving them away. The problem is that it is near impossible to get one rebuilt as well, as there are just no parts around to do it. I may eventually have to get a more modern Type B tranny, be it the 4 or 5 speed.

This transmission is now free to a good home with customer pickup in NJ. I'll even throw in a 260Z intake manifold.

Anyone interested?

FixItMan

HANG ON TO BOTH OF THEM!!!

The 260Z 4sp had a slightly lower 1st and 2nd gear to overcome the extra weight of the car (desirable tranny for auto-x) and the intake manifold design was tweaked to improve the path of the intake charge to cyl 3 and 4...also desirable for Auto-X....market them as such and sell away if you wish.

Speaking of which, I have tried to sell my Completely rebuilt 260Z 4-speed in our Classifieds, 2 times without a single call or email.

Below you can see the Trans. All cleaned up and front half painted. I even cleaned and rewried the switches and put tubing and Heatshrink on them, so they'll never be an issue unless the internals go bad. Very clean and tight shifting. Even tighter with the MSA Short shift kit on it.

Is $150 too much for a rebuilt tranny with short throw shifter?

The damn shift kit costs $160.

post-4921-14150813521495_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813522007_thumb.jpg

Speaking of which, I have tried to sell my Completely rebuilt 260Z 4-speed in our Classifieds, 2 times without a single call or email.

Below you can see the Trans. All cleaned up and front half painted. I even cleaned and rewried the switches and put tubing and Heatshrink on them, so they'll never be an issue unless the internals go bad. Very clean and tight shifting. Even tighter with the MSA Short shift kit on it.

Is $150 too much for a rebuilt tranny with short throw shifter?

The damn shift kit costs $160.

We need to talk about that trans when I return from Iraq...I "may" have permission to start collecting parts for the 2016 build ;)