IGNORED

1973 240Z Refreshtoration – 901 Silver

motorman7

I'll try to drop by to say hello, but I'm not going to enter. Couldn't beat you if I tried now!

Not true, the only time I win is when you don't enter your car :)

You've gone way past my level of obsession!!! BTW, may have a new wax for you to try. Will know more in a few weeks.

Bob

I look forward to the new wax. Oddly, I find waxing my Z's quite enjoyable. :cool:

Was hoping to have the motor in by today, but no go. Hopefully will get it in on Thursday. I did get the trans in, so that is good. Have the front end held up with a rope so I can move the car around.

The trans took quite a bit of time to clean up. Was oily and pretty corroded. Got the anti-sway bar put in and the T/C rods. Put in new rubber T/C bushings.

I figured out the best way to get the T/C nut to go on. Make sure parking brake is set and all four wheels on the ground; grab top of the front tire nearest the T/C bushing you are going to install nut on, and rotate it aft as much as possible. This pushes the T/C rod through the 'buckle' further and allows you to get the nut started. That is, rotate the tire aft with one arm and install the nut with the other at the same time. Worked pretty well for me.

I need to paint the front disc covers. Looks like the caliper needs to come off to remove and paint that, what a pain.

Add another $75 dollars to the total cost for new cluth disc, T/C bushings and pilot bearing. Had a new throw-out bearing, so no cost there, just took me 20 minutes to find it :-|. Add $26 dollars for 4 cans of undercoating.

Total is now $5024. Still need to get that carpet kit and who know what else.

Still a lot to do.

post-19125-14150812462048_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812462768_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812463378_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812463984_thumb.jpg

Edited by motorman7

Hi Mike,

Detailed Costs (so far)

Paint at Maaco $1680

Hello Rich. I've been following this thread...the car is looking really good! Will you please elaborate on the paint from Maaco? For example, did you do any prep on the car? Did you have any input on the type of paint used? Any other details, and are you happy with it?

Gary S.

Gary,

Here's a link to an old post of mine regarding my experience and cost with Maaco.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30772&highlight=maaco

I used the base/clear (which is their most expensive).

Hope this is not considered a "thread jack" but thought you may find other info helpful if your considering Maaco. However remember they are all individually owned so quality may differ.

Good luck,

PS.......Motorman 7, the car looks GREAT!

Will you please elaborate on the paint from Maaco? For example, did you do any prep on the car? Did you have any input on the type of paint used? Any other details, and are you happy with it?

Gary S.

Hi Gary,

I have had two Z's done at the Maaco in OC,CA. On both cars, the paint looks great.

I did the prep work myself. I stripped the cars until I was down to the rolling chassis-no motor, no glass, etc. I did most of the body work, sanding and prep myself. Some work was done by the Maaco on items that I missed-small charge for that.

As mentioned by Mally002, each Maaco is different, as are their prices. I took my now yellow Z to the Maaco about 4 blocks from my house for an estimate. Their estimate for the top of the line 'signature' paint job was about $2600. The shop in OC, 60 miles away charged $1800 for the same work. In both cases, the 'signature' paint cost was the same for the outside of the car. The difference was the price for painting the engine bay, door jams, individual parts, etc.- huge cost difference. The local shop wanted $400 to do the engine bay, OC charged $50. It was worth it to take it up to OC.

I did not check into the paint brand or quality. I left that to them. I really am not well versed on that subject.

Regarding the paint work done, I was thrilled with the job they did on the yellow Z, not as happy, but satisfied with the silver Z. I am guessing the silver Z was more of a challenge because it was silver over silver or silver over grey primer. The yellow Z, was yellow over silver so easy to see what was missed. As a result, there are a couple areas in the engine compartment that were missed (I am being pretty picky here as one of the areas is the underside of the frame rails in the engine compartment the other is the front part of the radiator attach frame). Neither area is very visible, but these were both done well on the yellow Z.

Also, the silver Z took a long time, almost 7 weeks. I knew I was in trouble when I brought it to the shop and the parking lot was filled with cars. Just like a diner, I am guessing you can also tell the good shops by the number of cars at the shop. There were few at my local Maaco, 10 times as many at the shop in OC.

All in all, I am very happy with the results for the cost.

Hope that helps.

Got the motor put in. It went pretty quick with my son helping. Put the distributor on with wires and realized the harness combs were missing. Will have to get some of those.

Got the rear side windows in last Tuesday. Much thanks to the person who suggested the masking tape to hold the weatherstrip in place while it dries. I think I actually had my first ever pleasant experience with weatherstripping :bunny:

post-19125-14150812478173_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812478783_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812479384_thumb.jpg

Edited by motorman7
spelling