IGNORED

1973 240Z Refreshtoration – 901 Silver

motorman7

Motorman7,

Just finished reading this entire thread over my morning coffee. Having done a musclecar restomod project myself (1969 Firebird) I have a keen appreciation for the time, labor and expense involved in bringing a car to this level. You have simply done an outstanding job with superb attention to detail. As far as the overall cost, you have kept it very reasonable considering the finished product. An inspiration to all.

Thanks for sharing......

Thanks for the feedback. It's really a pleasure to fix these cars up. It's therapy for me, plus gives me a lot of satisfaction. It keeps coming back to me how I told my wife I would fix this up and sell it when I first started the project, and she knew that I would not be able to sell. I have grown quite attached to it and love seeing it in my garage. Guess my wife knows me better than I know myself sometimes.

Bonzi, yes, really happy and actually surprised at how nice they run after all I had heard. I think as long as all the tubing is solid and those side accelerator pumps are in good shape, they work well. The SU's are definitely less complex, but I like the looks of these in the motor. Also, still stripping my SPL311. That one will take a year I am sure. It should be quite nice when finished though. I love the lines.

Thanks again for all the support,

Rich

• 4 months later...

Well, I will probably really regret this years from now, but I have decided to sell my Silver Z. I love it and it is beautiful, but I am just out of room here. I have 3 Z's in my 3 car garage, and 4 cars outside. Wouldn't be bad if I lived in the boonies with lots of land, but I am in SoCal, so not much space here. The clincher was when I put a couple scratches on the silver paint while working on the yellow Z (very mad at myself for that). Hopefully a Z lover will pick it up and finish the underside. That is really about all that is left to do. Thanks for following the thread. We will see where this ends up.

Rich

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370545909449&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Rich, I've been following the car on here and ebay. That bid is creeping up fast! A really great job on a great car. If I hadn't been layed off last June and, being in Georgia, needing AC I'd deifinitely be giving it the ultimate teat of a drive to the ATL.

Good luck and when I get my very own, I'll be asking questions.

Jeff

Thanks everyone for all the comments and complements. I'm just hoping that the car will be picked up by someone that will take great care of it. I will really miss seeing it in my garage :-(.

Also hoping new owner will keep the flat tops and other period unique items. In my opinion, it is what makes the car special. Everybody runs the round tops and they are all too common. The flat tops are rare and nice to show.

Thanks again everyone,

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I just got done reading this thread in it's entirety and WOW, very nice job Rich. This just might be enough to inspire me to finish up my own refreshtoration. I'm sorry I missed out on the auction though, but I really don't have room for another car either....:( Nice sale price btw, especially considering the economy and the fact that the engine wasn't rebuilt.

Well, my silver Z sold on e-bay for a fair price. The final bid/sale was for $10.1 K. Everything has gone very smooth so far after the sale. I received prompt payment and drove the car up to LA so the car could be transported to the new owner who lives in the midwest. It was a beautiful final drive on a sunny California day. Most of the drive was up the 15 at about 80 mph and traffic was minimal. My son followed in the yellow Z and we drove that back together.

I spoke with the new owner and seems he had a '73 240Z growing up, and that is what he was looking for. Looks like he will keep it original and finish up the underside. I was very tempted to try and finish up the underside in the last couple days of the sale, but felt it was better to leave it as is. That way he could inspect the underside and finish it as he wished. I still have the cans of undercoat that I purchased to re-do the undercoat. I probably should have sent those with the car.

I actually did make a profit on the car, which is good. Although, my wife is razing me that I made about 50 cents an hour. I really don't care as I just enjoy the work. After I complete some house projects I hope to get started on one of the other cars here in my driveway.

Thanks for all the support everyone,

Best regards,

Rich