IGNORED

Aluminum Radiator Isolation

twsutt

Wouldnt that thick of a spacing put your radiator in contact with the fan? With the mechanical fan and MSA radiaotor I was too close for comfort. Though part of that was they used the wrong radiator frame, which caused me to spend even more money on the dual fan shroud too!

here is a pic of what I used. I cut the inserts down to 8mm to help center the bolts in the radiator mounting holes on the core support. That also helped keep me from over tightening and cutting the rubber.

rubberinsulator.jpg

Edited by hogie

Hogie,

I'm still not sure that I understand how you've got this mounted that completely isolates the radiator from the radiator support. Isn't the metal from the bolt still in contact with both the support and the radiator with the rubber bushing sandwiched in between? If that's the case then the radiator will be cushioned from any radiator support flexing, but the radiator is still grounded to to the car through the 8M bolt, right?

I'm sorry to be difficult, I'm just trying to find the best/easiest way to mount an aluminum radiator that will prevent any contact that could carry an electrical current, and prevent any unwanted galvanic corrosion that could shorten the radiator's life.

The rubber sleeve fits inside of the radiator mounting hole. The bolt is touching metal on the core support side, but since the rubber sleeve is the only thing contacting the radiator there is no metal to metal contact.

See where the gap is in the rubber, the radiator mounting tab sits there. So when you tighten down the nut it squeezes on the sleeve to the bolt head and the radiator just sees rubber.

Got it. I was thinking that the radiator had a nut welded to the top mounting tabs like the OEM radiator. I haven't got my new radiator yet (be here tomorrow), but the picture on the website (GenesisAutoParts.com) shows that the mounting is the same as the OEM radiator.

See my confusion.

I prefer the clearance that these bushings provide.

Is the bolt hole in the radiator support large enough to place that bushing through it?

Edited by twsutt
added question

I think I was able to squeeze the bushing through the radiator support when I was planning on mounting everything up. My factory radiator had holes just like the Champion radiator...so whatever nuts may have been welded on were long gone.

Either way it was easier for me to put the rubber on the radiator.