IGNORED

Aluminum Radiator Isolation

twsutt

I've noticed that many of you have stated that an all aluminum radiator needs to be isolated from the radiator support to prevent galvanic corrosion. I've purchased a direct fit aluminum radiator (similar to what MSA sells), and I would like to see how some of you have mounted your radiators so that it's not grounded directly to the radiator support. I've seen mention of plastic sleeves and rubber and I would also be interested in knowing where these can be purchased.

Thank you,

I ran to the junkyard and pulled the isolation mounts off a 95 Nissan Pathfinders V6 air box and used those. Each truck only has 3 so you will have to hit up at least a couple to find some good ones.

The windshield wiper motor mounts are similar and can be made to work.

I ran to the junkyard and pulled the isolation mounts off a 95 Nissan Pathfinders V6 air box and used those. Each truck only has 3 so you will have to hit up at least a couple to find some good ones.

The windshield wiper motor mounts are similar and can be made to work.

hogie,

Forgive me for being dense, but I haven't removed my old radiator yet, will the radiator support need to be drilled to fit the shoulder washers through or is the existing hole large enough?

shoulder_washer.gif

I assume that you used these along with the rubber spacer, otherwise the radiator will still be grounded to the frame through the bolt.

Edited by twsutt

I didnt use the shoulder washers as they were too deep at first. They will need to be ground down a little bit in order to fit properly. I will probably get these added back on tonight.

As it is right now the rubber is wider than the bolt head/washer so the bolt only squeezes on rubber and doesnt touch any metal.

Got it. Thank you. something like this:

t_rubber_grommets_big.jpg

I thought that it was just a rubber spacer.

I was looking at my Z last night and noticed that the four bolts that hold the radiator to the radiator support also hold the a/c condenser on the front side of the support. Do you have a/c in your car and if so will the rubber grommet fit through the support and condenser mounting tab together?

Terrence, the pics you posted are not what he means.

Those are a type of firewall grommet you have there .

He's meaning ones at least 1/2'' thick with a metal

sleeve to prevent crushing , allowing the rubber ends

to separate whatever you want to isolate from each other.:)