IGNORED

Fogging oil on the under-body?

FastWoman

Hi all,

I got an interesting idea, but I don't know whether it's a good one. We all know that British automotive engineers intentionally engineer oil leaks into their engines, so as to provide a source of lubrication and rust prevention for the underbody. Right? ;)

So I'm wondering about my frame rail interiors and other largely inaccessible areas. Would it be wise to mist them periodically with fogging oil to keep them in good condition, or would that compromise the integrity of any painted coatings?

I'm also wondering whether it would be good/useful to fog the problem areas inside areas like doors and fenders, where I do have a bit of rust. I think it's much too late to use conventional rust preventatives, but fogging oil might just penetrate the rust and provide a bit of latent protection.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sarah

In Ontario Canada I get my wife's Honda under oiled every fall.

Its messy but saves body, frame and wiring from the incredible amount of salt and liquid calcium salt mixture that is spread on the roads to combat ice and snow in the the winter.

There are shops that do this. They have special wands to get inside doors rocker panels etc.

On my Z I bought a product called Rustcheck and sprayed all the vulnerable areas.

Casey

I am going to put holes in strategic locations in my 240 that are not easily observed where possible to squirt oil from an oil can periodically with the hole just large enough to allow the oil can nozzle to be aimed in different directions. The holes down the length of the frame rails maybe a foot apart or less might be be rubber stoppered or threaded for bolts (or some other idea) to keep water out but on the interior I was thinking of using a black plastic rivet looking thing for holding on interior panels with ribs on the shank that I picked up at Shuck's auto supply. Existing holes might serve double duty for this maybe? I also plan on putting holes in the rocker panels possibly under the Datsun sill plate or whatever it is called however there is some access already on the inside under the interior rocker flap cover thing (it could have holes put in it too). Anything that makes this more convenient would make it done more often I would think. Being able to squirt oil onto any surface seems a good idea if possible in this line of thinking. Maybe use a bent nozzle to accomplish this to be able to squirt in an up direction? Any place that is prone to rust would be a candidate in my thinking on this such as the doglegs or over the rear tire well. Maybe put oil on the inside of the rear of the front fenders which would be possible with a small hole on the interior footwells behind the rust prone area of the fender above and rearwards from the Datsun badge. These holes probably would not be normally visible. With my previous 240 I used to squirt oil after a rain at the the top of the wheel well toward the fender lip where the fender meets the hood because the bolts had rusted off of that car and I had to weld new nuts on the engine compartment metal right at the hood line. I used bolts to hold the nuts in place temporarily for welding. These nuts hold the fender on. I hope to put rust bullet in the rust areas except for the frame rails if I can figure out how to get access to these areas before oiling . May have to cut holes that are rewelded in or make new access hatches designed to not have structural impact? Need a mechanical engineer here. What is the class taught on this, strength of materials? Anyone have other ideas?

Mike

Edited by Mikes Z car

Mike, I already have holes (maybe 8mm dia?) on the bottom sides of the frame rails on my '78. I assume they came that way from the factory, perhaps for drainage. I have to say the rails are in great shape on my car. I have some rust problems elsewhere, though.

I wonder if cosmoline is possibly the best stuff to use:

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/#342

The #342 on the right would be the thick, petroleum goo/wax like stuff. Some of you might have seen the stuff coating precision tooling, especially cutting tools. I once had to clean the stuff off of a giant milling machine, and I can tell you it didn't want to come off!

Do you think this stuff would penetrate rust?

FastWoman,

Thanks for reminding me about the rocker panel drain holes. I will use them too.

My frame rails have no rust as far as anything visible. I'd like not to have to worry about them though. The guys at work told me about a local corrosion expert gentleman and I asked them does he help with the rust or does he get you to stop worrying about the rust? I was teasing them because they tease me about worrying about rust on my car.

Interesting that Wikipedia says the military is quitting the use of Cosmoline because it is too hard to get off. That is likely a nice endorsement if the anti corrosion qualities are still there after it has been on long enough to be difficult to remove. At least it doesn't flake off like undercoating can.

Cosmoline comes in spray form and in quarts (other sizes too) which makes me think it must be diluted for the spray cans as it is described as having the consistency of vaseline. Maybe squirting oil into cavities might get anti corrosion material into places the thicker Cosmoline might not get into and therefore be a good substance to use in conjunction with Cosmoline.

The ACF-50 looks good too, maybe a little to spendy for this guy though.

Mike

Edited by Mikes Z car

I've wanted to have a company call Krown treat my cars, but they are in Canada. They do a detail job and use several different oil-based treatments that they guaranty to protect your car from corrosion. They have tools also to get in the door seams and other spots that you can't get a spray can into

I used to use a product called Corrosion Block it was clear but the exhaust would smoke for weeks if any fell on it. Now I use Gibbs penetrating oil wich is also clear and seems to work better, and does not smoke for long and only when I hit the cat. my FJ Cruiser.

Using oils are great for protection, because it is a lot easier to clean off when servicing the car and when your done working you just spray that section. It undercoating to servise an area you need to scrape clean then make a patch of the undercoating that will look bad over time with a lot of patches under the car. I like using the clear oil because it looks better, but you can use Bo-shield from the aircraft industry it works well but it leaves a yellowish residue so it is only good for inside panels.

My 72 was treated...I think when it was new. It's a greasy, wax substance and they put it everywhere...rockers, doors, quarters and above fenderwells. I have zero rust in these areas. And it hasn't hardened so it's still effective. It's almost the consistency of bearing grease but there has to be more to it than that. I'm thinking about creating some access holes to treat certain areas then seal them with tight fitting rubber plugs that can be removed periodically.

I've wanted to have a company call Krown treat my cars, but they are in Canada. They do a detail job and use several different oil-based treatments that they guaranty to protect your car from corrosion. They have tools also to get in the door seams and other spots that you can't get a spray can into

Both Krown and Rustcheck sell spray cans of there product.It is available here at Canadian Tire(big chain store) which does not do you any good south of the border:)

It should be available in the northern states and online at Auto Supply places.

Oiling is very effective and its use is widespread in the rust belt.

Casey

Edited by Casey_z

Both Krown and Rustcheck sell spray cans of there product.It is available here at Canadian Tire(big chain store) which does not do you any good south of the border:)

It should be available in the northern states and online at Auto Supply places.

Oiling is very effective and its use is widespread in the rust belt.

Casey

Krown has two stores near Nigeria Falls. They told me one time they are looking for people to franchise in the USA I was interested, then as I got into it they stated I would be to far to franchise with. If your going to do it, just do it. They seem worried venturing 8 hours from the boarder.