IGNORED

What engine would you choose?

DeathBy240

I have a hypothetical situation that I would like to hear your thoughts on. I know this has probably been discussed to death, but this is just a hypothetical situation and I'd like to hear your hypothetical answers!

You've just bought a 240z that is rust free, has been painted once and needs another paint job in the near future. Interior has been removed but is all there. The original engine has been rebuilt but the previous owner took it out and started to swap in a Chevy small block. Other than actually placing the motor in the engine bay, nothing else has been done. He included the original L24 in the sale, which is supposed to run.

The goal of the car isn't to restore it, but just be a fun weekend car with a few modifications (wheels, suspension, seats might be trashed so maybe some vintage-looking racing seats). The car will never be 100% original. You might want to talk it to the odd track day, but no serious racing. You also have access to a nearly free 280z parts car that has a fresh engine in it (but the body is shot).

What engine would you choose? Would you finish the swap and go for the extra power? Go original and put the 240 motor in? Keep with a Datsun motor but go L28?

Again, sorry if this has been discussed 78974452 times just looking for some pros and cons!

You didn't say which year 240, so I'll just assume it's a '70-'72. I'd rebuild the L24 since you don't know for sure what is in the "fresh" L28. It could be a junk engine for all you know. If your hypothetical 240 is a '73 with original carbs, then I'd call Bruce and get some round top carbs to replace the boat anchors it has now. Sell the SBC and use the cash for the rebuild.

Ask at this forum you'll get the "L" answer. Ask at hybrid Z and you'll get the "V8" answer. In the end it's your decision. If you put in a Datsun motor, you can always do a conversion. If you do a conversion, it's a PIA to go back.

If it was me, I'd build a big motor L24. The straight 6 has great character and sounds wonderful when opened up.

Gotta love the six. I'd go with an L28 if it's available to you. I was going to do a rebuild of my L24 until a free L28 came along. Take what you can get, either choice is plenty of fun. If the L28 is in good condition I'd use at least that block and put some SUs or triples on top.

What year is this hypothetical car? The year makes all the difference to me. I know I'd personally put the L24 back in it if it was 1970 model.

I've been going through a similar dilemma...with my 72 240z...

My rational self says rebuild the L24....but my darker side says-- it's a 1972 model...store that L24 and put an L28 in it already!

Edited by Rich1