IGNORED

almost there....awakening the z from wintersleep

bounce

so, I replaced the ignition coil and was happy to see spark from "secondary ignition" test with chasis/body ground.... is it not the beginning of secondary when it comes out of the ignition coil?

anywho, there was a strong spark from the coil now....

trying to crank:

I heard a couple of detonations on two occasions while cranking but nothing more as far as trying to get her started.... so I checked the plugs and they were highly fouled with carbony goop... I've never seen such coagulation before.....black tar....

I cleaned the plugs off and only heard a couple of coughs while trying to start it after letting her sit for the time it took me to pull plugs, clean'em off, and plug'em back in....

so it only coughed a couple times during the very first crank , and after that it did not during cranking attempts...

the rotor is turning, but I have not confirmed spark at the plugs, as I only tried to put a screwdriver in plug #1 plug and could not see any arcing going on yesterday afternoon...

what step should I perform now as far as testing power from the distributor?

if I heard a couple coughs from the motor, I'm at least getting some spark off the plugs....the gas smell near the carbs doesn't smell like varnish....

plug wear is telling there is too much oil entering the chamber....will a new set of plugs and some engine running time/ then look at the plugs again be a good indicator of ring condition?

OR!!... should I get the Z towed into town to my mechanic???

Edited by bounce

First thing to do is to figure out if you are getting power to the plugs. Try pulling a plug, putting in the boot and grounding the electrode by setting it on a grounded piece of metal. If you see a spark while cranking then you have power to the plugs and as long as the timing is right and there is no major mechanical issues you need to start looking at the fuel side of the equation.

super....I actually just walked over to my mechanic's and picked up a new set of plugs as well....

this Z was purchased by the PO a year ago...drove it during the summer months, and then it sat over winter up here in Flagstaff...then i just bought it a week ago...they were adamant that it ran fine prior to winter...

I don't think the plugs were ever changed by PO because of the wear showing underneath all the goop I cleaned off them...decent amount of metal loss...

I'll check for plug spark today....

also to make sure I have the firing order right....I need to confirm the beginning location to start the 153624 order..... is it not the most forward (12 o'clock) plug wire position on the distributor cap? I see some markings on the cap and am starting from there; ..identical to the photo I found online here....lemme find the link....woah! I found another picture with the firing order counterclockwise...I think I copied a photo of clockwise =firing order earlier...hmmm...I may have slex dixia....

hey, I'm going home right now to confirm the correct firing order and make sure I didn't run it clockwise!!!

Edited by bounce

well...I did not have the firing order reversed....it was setup correctly apparenty... CC 153624 from the 12'0clock beginning....

I replaced the plugs, and tried to see any spark on plug number one with it resting ontop of the valve cover but no joy...could not hear nor see an arc...in broad daylight however....

the points are opening and closing all though I don't know what the gap should be...but it looked like a 32nd of an inch was the gap...as a piece of 50lb test monofiliment fishing line did not fall out from between the points but a piece of paper did...

the points are opening and closing all though I don't know what the gap should be...but it looked like a 32nd of an inch was the gap...as a piece of 50lb test monofiliment fishing line did not fall out from between the points but a piece of paper did...

Use a feeler gauge and be sure about the points setting -- sometimes, close enough is NOT close enough. Timing may also be an issue. Since you're going through everything, may as well take the time to bring it up to spec and then you can rule out possible causes with a bit more certainty.

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...