IGNORED

Custom battery cables-DIY

madkaw

What are the optimal lengths for the battery cables?

There is particular optimum length. We have the battery in back of the car and use 1/0 wire running to the starter.

If you use typical battery cables (which are 4 gauge) then the shorter the better. As the length increases the wire gauge needs to increase to keep the voltage drop while cranking to an acceptable level.

You might want to remeasure if you have the positive post, top or side, under the wing. I had to use a 26" with the top post and still have some slack. The OEM black one I replaced is 26", with a red one for the positive. The original black ones got me confused one day and I found out what a fuseable link smells like. :)

Bonzi Lon

Long as you are not trying to win a car show in the "original" category, it makes more sense to go with side connections on the battery. No concern of the positive terminal contacting the inspection lid, and less chance of sparks fliying when servicing the connections.

Long as you are not trying to win a car show in the "original" category, it makes more sense to go with side connections on the battery. No concern of the positive terminal contacting the inspection lid, and less chance of sparks fliying when servicing the connections.

I'll second that. My other Zs were outfitted that way when the batteries died and my current will be when it's battery dies.