IGNORED

Custom battery cables-DIY

madkaw

I just had to share this product that I came across when planning my battery cables. I wanted to run as stock of a battery size as i could so I could use the original battery bracket and cover for my 71(just because I had one).

Anyway, off the shelf battery cables have ends that hit the plastic battery cover and are usually pretty cheaply made. So, I went on a search for battery cable ends, but then realized that a crimper would then bee needed even if I found the right ones. Then i stumbled onto the Remy battery site and found these fusion battery terminal ends-what a great idea. They had 90 degree terminal ends and I could make the cables at home easily.

http://www.remybattery.com/Departments/Cable--Accessories/Connectors--Lugs-and-Terminals/Fusion-Solder-Lugs-and-Terminals/Terminal-Clamps.aspx

Were the cables cheap-well about 45$ to make including wire, but have you priced the kits on Summitt. bought the 2 guage wire from Napa and the terminal ends from Remy and had the cables done in 15 mintes and better then anything you can buy over the counter.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36229&d=1274113798

Edited by Arne

That's looks cool. I've been thinking about changing my cables because I don't like the positive under the cover - too close to the fender. That, and my negative can't be tightened any more then it is, and I can pull the connector off the terminal without a wrench.

Those are pretty nice cable ends. Though I have found Electric/Welding shops to have the best deals on cable. Stereo shops have really nice pretty cable, but it is way too expensive

Those wires came out nice, they look better than the factory ones did and more than likely cheaper than a NOS set. I like this companies product of measuring out the solder and flux it is a mess when you use to much and a pain when you don't have enough in the hole (so I always added a little more than needed).

I was wondering if anyone has tried to replicate the original wires. I'd like to on my current 240Z since I haven't seen factory correct wires for sale. Also mine have been sliced several times at the terminal and different terminals are now on. Can anyone get measurement on how long the wires are? Also who makes the closest matching to original terminals? Can we get some pictures of original terminals to compare to what is out there?

Nothing fancy and you can't tell what kind it is under that nissan cover:)

I just made sure it was the right size, and this battery fits nicely with the frame and the cover.

The terminal ends were about 6$ each incase you'all are wondering. Plus I also got the eyelet type ends for the starter side of the cable-also fusion type-about 3$ a piece.

The positive terminal under the fender is the original configuration. I know people have expressed concern about this but it seems to me that a) the battery should be properly held down and B) hopefully you've got paint on the bottom of the inspection lid. Anyone using a bungee cord for a tie down and visible rust on the bottom of the lid may wish to go the other way.

I'll fully admit that I recently bought an Optima battery for my car and while carefully installing it wanted to tighten the battery clamp just a little bit more and ended up finding out what a great conductor my socket wrench is. Fortunately the handle of the wrench touched the opposing clamp and not the post itself because it left a nice dent in the clamp itself when it arced. I may well want to replace my cables and clamps as mentioned in this post.