IGNORED

1971 type A tranny question/problem

I thought all Series II 240's had type "B" tranny's? ? ?

Your VIN is a later '71 so it should have a type "B".

Was it retrofit or is my assumption wrong?

The F4W71B was introduced with HLS30-46001 which was the start of the 1972 model, but we all have learned how blurred the lines of model division or actual part introduction actually was.

MIne is a 7/71 build date... so geezer is right, I was on the cusp. Wish it had a B type, would be much easier to find a replacement....

Of note, I have found two Z shops in town that have them for a VERY reasonable price. I am thinking of picking up a couple of them in hopes that are as good as these chaps say they are. THen I can take my time and rebuild mine...should be fun!

At least the type A 4 speeds are easy to find still. I failed at my attempts to give them away at a swap meet.

Ron,

You could try to sell just the bell housing as part of a type A 5 speed conversion part like this ebay seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110533446324&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT. I am thinking he will not get the $175 starting bid he is asking for it LOL. The bell housing is the easiest part to get, it is the other parts required for the conversion that would be near impossible to find.

-Mike

Ordred my transmission jack form harbor freight. Funny thing though. The 450 lb tranny jack they sell is going for 80 bucks. Other 'reputable' dealers sell a similar product for 700 dollars. I just better not be under it for very long.

I am concerned about buying another used tranny. I could get something worse than what I have now. Guess I have to roll the dice.

Is there any way to check the quality of the transmission prior to installation.

I am concerned about buying another used tranny. I could get something worse than what I have now. Guess I have to roll the dice.

Is there any way to check the quality of the transmission prior to installation.

Not unless it is REALLY bad. It's darn hard to detect noisy bearings outside of the car. And bad synchros are pretty much impossible to check without driving it.

But if you can get a short warranty with one, you should be able to swap similar transmissions in a short day. I've done it on mine in a couple of hours, tops. So you could just put it in a drive it...

You will be fine with that jack. Unless they have changed since I borrowed my friends, it was built plenty well. I just picked up the $50 transmission jack adapter because I didnt see yours the other night. I may have to return it for that one.

Heck, the sears version of the adapter is at least $180.

You might want to call Roger at The Z Barn. I bought a R180 from him last year and he did warranty it for a breif period for me so I would have a chance to get it installed and drive it. I've got no idea on transmissions but it could be worth a phone call for piece of mind. I would rather pay a little more shipping and have know the trans is warrantied than not. If you are going to sit on it an install later this may not work for you though. Since he is just 3 hours to my west I have been driving over and picking up hard to ship items like rear ends and glass. Sometimes it take a little bit for Roger to get back in touch with you so just a heads up. The AM time period usually works best for me to catch him on his business line.

The Z Barn

1-865-995-0443

sales@zbarn.com

Yup, Doug has several used Type A's on the shelf that he said he would sell me, and at a reasonable price I might add.

to rebuild mine though, he estimated it would take 900-1500 dollars. Which I take to mean that h really does not want to rebuild it.

I called the Zbarn, and had a great conversation with Roger...

he is going to take a look at some of the gears in some of his Type A's and pick one that look good and get it to me. I was VERY Pleased with his attitude and his willingness to help me out. I Still have to pay shipping for a tranny from him, but the extra work he puts in makes it very much worth it to me.

Thanks Traveling Man for the recommendation.

Thanks