IGNORED

Chassis plate

vpulsar

Hello from blighty guys.

I have a problem with my 1974 260Z, I bought this car about a year ago as a restoration project and have been going great guns with it nearly being ready for the road again.

My problem is that I hadn't realized that not only didn't I have the original rivet on chassis plate I also had no sign of the stamped in number on the firewall due to it having been painted quite a few times, I've stripped the paint off the area but it appears that it's been rubbed away while being prepped for painting.

Is their anybody in the US doing reproduction chassis plates that I can stamp up myself ?.

Rob

While there are a few vendors here that do have blank plates, all require verifiable proof of ownership, and send the plates stamped for the vehicle in question.

Since you have stripped the area and see nothing where the stamp ought to be, it would take more than rubbing to get rid of the firewall Vin stamp-cutting it out and replacing the metal, or some serious hammer and dolly work-there is only one reason to do that I can think of...

I don't know what it takes to transfer title where you are, but missing both the plate and the firewall vin would absolutely be a red flag on this side of the pond. Buying such a questionable vehicle over here could easily result in the FBI coming and taking it back to its original owner with no regard for what you have in it in time, energy and money. I had an acquaintance spend $22,000 for a Volvo station wagon just to have that very thing happen three weeks after he bought the car.

Before I put any more of anything in the car, I would be chasing the P.O and getting the story, and then finding out what legal issues you could run into.

Hi Rob,

Banzai Motorworks makes a reproduction plate for the 260z. I would check with them. I think he requires a photocopy of the title to prevent people from forging them. Good luck.

An 'RLS30' plate is not going to be any use for an 'RS30' though.....

vpulsar,

If your car really hasn't got the firewall-engraved chassis number 'stamp' anymore, then there has to be a reason why. Whatever reason it is, it won't be good......

If it's simply covered up with paint, then you should strip the paint back to 'frame' it. If it really isn't there any more, then I bet it isn't the car that your V5C says it is.

Can 'O' Worms.....

"An 'RLS30' plate is not going to be any use for an 'RS30' though....."

Is this referring to a left hand drive verses a right hand? I hadn't thought about that.

Not that it matters but I agree with the above. It would take a lot to "accidentally" remove the firewall number. Something doesn't seem kosher.

carl

"An 'RLS30' plate is not going to be any use for an 'RS30' though....."

Is this referring to a left hand drive verses a right hand? I hadn't thought about that.

Yup. Totally different plate is needed.

Is the vin # etched on opposite sides of the firewall for RH drive vehicles?

On the S30/S31 Z' date=' it is [i']always* on the driver's side of the firewall.

*Unless it has been removed for some reason.....

Perhaps a picture or two of the RHD vin stamp is needed.

Why do you need a picture!?

It's on the firewall sheetmetal, just above the master cylinders.

RHD and LHD are mirror-images of eachother.....

vpulsar,

If your car really hasn't got the firewall-engraved chassis number 'stamp' anymore, then there has to be a reason why. Whatever reason it is, it won't be good......

Hi buddy thanks for your replies, Though I appreciate your concerns about it being a bit dodgy I don't think you're correct in your assumptions, They didn't make many 74 260's and to have one that is ringed or stolen is very unlikely over here, It is definitely a 1974 car because their is other pointers to that being correct.

As far as the stamped in chassis number goes I could make out 3000 in the paint but once I had gently remover the paint with a pad that doesn't damage metal I couldn't make anything out, If most definitely hasn't been welded or beaten in that area, I think a few going's over with a DA sander has done the damage.

I spoke to VOSA today and they said they where happy for me to make up my own plate and rivet it on myself, I also spoke to the police who will give it the once over when they have the time, I also still know the person I bought the car from and he is a long term Zclub member.

I just think with the car having been off the road for 14 years and at least two owners things like chassis plates can get lost, I will have one more go at lifting the original stamped in number then I'll make my own.

I do have the log book for the car so I do know the chassis and engine numbers, The chassis number is RS30000702.

Rob

We had a discussion awhile back. It seems that most think that the numbers were ENGRAVED rather than stamped! If so, then I would tend to agree that an ambitious da-er could have erased some numbers more easily than stamped numbers.

That's a very early 260! And, welcome to the red-headed stepchild 1974 260Z club!