IGNORED

i want a z as my first car

hey everyone, im anthony. im 16 and will be getting my license in august and will hopefully have enough money to buy my first car. i would really like to get either a 240 or 280 but im not sure if that would be a good choice, which is why i am here to find out.

i have been lurking around this forum and rust seems to be the biggest issue with these cars. i know that the only way to get rid of the rust these 30+ year old cars have is to tear it down and replace the rust with sheet metal, but im wondering if it really is that bad to drive a rusty car. i mean, will it fall apart on me? dont get me wrong, i would love to tear the car down and get rid of all of the rust but i want this car to be my daily driver and i am not mechanically inclined to restore it.

feel free to share any information or tips that will help me out. :)

Welcome! I would check the local Craigslist.com, etc.

If you are looking for a daily driver, a 280Z would probably be your best bet. The 280Zs weren't quite as prone to rust as the older 240Zs, they are fuel injected so you don't have all the carburetor issues that you would have with a 240Z. 280Zs are also a little heavier, safer and better suited for daily driving. On top of that, they are generally less expensive than the 240Zs.

Good luck with your search.

Hi, Ant, Rick here.

I agree with Steve, his was wise counsel. You didn't mention

how much you have saved up or what your budget is, so it is

a little hard to make a good call.

If you are like I was and had to carry a paper route, stock

shelves in a grocery store, and work on a farm during the

summer while off from school, then you probably have a few

hundred stashed away. This will not buy a safe and roadworthy

Z Car except in very rare cases, which means you will have to

A) wait awhile longer while using Mom and Dad's car or B) buy

some other car to tide you over till you can afford a decent Z.

Now if you happen to be a young guy whose father or

grandfather just got a multi-million dollar bonus at taxpayer

expense, then you should be aiming much higher (even as high

as a brand new, loaded, 370Z).

But frankly, earning it yourself will help you appreciate it and

treat it much more respectfully than if it were given to you. I

know it's hard to be patient, but I never got my first car till I

was almost 21. As a cadet we weren't allowed to have a car

until just before graduation anyway, so that kind of softened

the blow.

All Z Best,..........................................Kathy & Rick

Edited by Kathy & Rick

When I was 16 I certainly remember how I laid in bed every night and had dreams about driving my car to school, and on dates, and just cruising around town making all my friends jealous. You are at a great age Anthony. If you are serious about taking the advice of folks you have never met on the internet then I am taking your question seriously and will try to impart my wisdom of what I did when I was 16, and what horrible mistakes I made, and what it taught me. But can you answer a few questions first that would help me give you the best advice I can.

First, you mention that you are not mechanically inclined. Does that mean you are not mechanically inclined as in "I cannot change oil or spark plugs" or does that mean I am not mechanically inclined as in "I can do the basic stuff, but I have never rebuilt a cylinder head on a bench"

Second, Does this car need to work every single day and not have any down time longer than a weekend? Will it be your ride to school? Do you have a job currently or will you be getting a job where this car will be your only means of transportation? I lived half my young life making sure I had a car to drive the next day to school and work. If work had to be done it meant parking my car and spending every waking second and every last dollar making sure it would run so I could get to work or school. While this taught me a lot about making a dollar stretch, I lost out on lots of things other kids my age were doing because I 'had to work on my car'. That may sound fine to you now, but I have some regrets about all the parties I missed things I could not go to because I was either broke or my car would not make it there. Just keep that in mind. Your cars reliability effects every aspect of a young mans life.

Third, are you going to college in a couple of years? If so do you plan on using this Z as your daily driver in college? In college you will most likely not have a garage, the car will be left in the open, and will degrade every day as your head will/should be in books rather than working on your Z. I had to sell my beloved 74 trans am when I went to college. The gas mileage and upkeep was just too high. And all it was doing was sitting in the parking lot rusting.

16 is a fantastic age Anthony, enjoy it. As much as high school seems like your whole world now, I promise you, life gets even better. If your future leads you to college, and by your well written question, it seems it will, you will find that it is probably the greatest growing time in your entire life and the most fun you will have until you meet Mrs Right.

Let us know what circumstances you are under. Give us some insight.

With that being asked, I will say this. When I was 16 you could not stop me from buying an old camaro. It was my dream car. I ended up getting a 77 Berilinetta. What junker. Everything that could break did. But it was my baby. I learned a lot working on that car.

If you would allow me to give you some advice that I wish I would have taken when I was 16, I will. A car is a wonderful thing, but never forget that an old car, even a Z is an old car. It will have problems, and demand your time and your money. You will sacrifice many things if you decide to get an older car. If you really want a Z, then save up and get a good one. It is easier to maintain, than to restore. If you cannot afford a good Z, then wait. I know patience is in as short supply as money at 16, but I promise you if you can wait to buy a Z later in life, when you have more funds at your disposal, you will be rewarded by a FAR more pleasurable ownership experience.

Welcome to the forum!

You can also consider a 280ZX 70-83 or a 280ZX Turbo 81-83! These are very capable cars and much more reliable if you are not mechanically inclined. With the EFI system, it will definitely not hold you back. In the mean time, you can save up for a 240Z when your older. If you have to buy a 240Z or 280Z, I'd say ask your parents to help you out and buy a better condition car, get a job, and pay them back. It's better to start out good than bad. Trust me, it sucks to have a DD you can't drive.

Thought I'd be the last one to say it but I agree, take thier advice above! I was like you too and bought my '77 280Z as my first car and boy was I took. No one could tell me anything and I had to have a Z before a reliable newer car first. Was told the engine was rebuilt but when I got it home I found that EVERYTHING they did was booty crack wrong. The body was nice and rust free and interior was great too but all the mechanicals were still 35 years old. No matter what I did soon as I replaced or fixed one thing another thing broke not one month later. Finally got the engine rebuilt, the right way, then thats when the tranny broke. The body as said is fine, just need to replace every old mechanical part. Aka a driving project car. So unless you can do the work yourself or shell piles of cash, if and when things do break, get a newer DD first. It's no fun when you miss a date cause you car hates :) , LOL

Edited by WingZr0

Welcome! I would check the local Craigslist.com, etc.

If you are looking for a daily driver, a 280Z would probably be your best bet. The 280Zs weren't quite as prone to rust as the older 240Zs, they are fuel injected so you don't have all the carburetor issues that you would have with a 240Z. 280Zs are also a little heavier, safer and better suited for daily driving. On top of that, they are generally less expensive than the 240Zs.

Good luck with your search.

thanks, i have actually checked out some craigslist listings and found two pretty clean 240zs, but they are pretty expensive.

thanks for the information, from what you have said, a 280 definitely seems more fit for me than a 240.

Hi, Ant, Rick here.

I agree with Steve, his was wise counsel. You didn't mention

how much you have saved up or what your budget is, so it is

a little hard to make a good call.

If you are like I was and had to carry a paper route, stock

shelves in a grocery store, and work on a farm during the

summer while off from school, then you probably have a few

hundred stashed away. This will not buy a safe and roadworthy

Z Car except in very rare cases, which means you will have to

A) wait awhile longer while using Mom and Dad's car or B) buy

some other car to tide you over till you can afford a decent Z.

Now if you happen to be a young guy whose father or

grandfather just got a multi-million dollar bonus at taxpayer

expense, then you should be aiming much higher (even as high

as a brand new, loaded, 370Z).

But frankly, earning it yourself will help you appreciate it and

treat it much more respectfully than if it were given to you. I

know it's hard to be patient, but I never got my first car till I

was almost 21. As a cadet we weren't allowed to have a car

until just before graduation anyway, so that kind of softened

the blow.

All Z Best,..........................................Kathy & Rick

hey rick. i so far have a mighty $100 in my possession LOL. as far as a budget goes, around 2k to 3k.

thanks for your input, and i am really looking to earn the money for the car and purchase it on my own.

When I was 16 I certainly remember how I laid in bed every night and had dreams about driving my car to school, and on dates, and just cruising around town making all my friends jealous. You are at a great age Anthony. If you are serious about taking the advice of folks you have never met on the internet then I am taking your question seriously and will try to impart my wisdom of what I did when I was 16, and what horrible mistakes I made, and what it taught me. But can you answer a few questions first that would help me give you the best advice I can.

First, you mention that you are not mechanically inclined. Does that mean you are not mechanically inclined as in "I cannot change oil or spark plugs" or does that mean I am not mechanically inclined as in "I can do the basic stuff, but I have never rebuilt a cylinder head on a bench"

Second, Does this car need to work every single day and not have any down time longer than a weekend? Will it be your ride to school? Do you have a job currently or will you be getting a job where this car will be your only means of transportation? I lived half my young life making sure I had a car to drive the next day to school and work. If work had to be done it meant parking my car and spending every waking second and every last dollar making sure it would run so I could get to work or school. While this taught me a lot about making a dollar stretch, I lost out on lots of things other kids my age were doing because I 'had to work on my car'. That may sound fine to you now, but I have some regrets about all the parties I missed things I could not go to because I was either broke or my car would not make it there. Just keep that in mind. Your cars reliability effects every aspect of a young mans life.

Third, are you going to college in a couple of years? If so do you plan on using this Z as your daily driver in college? In college you will most likely not have a garage, the car will be left in the open, and will degrade every day as your head will/should be in books rather than working on your Z. I had to sell my beloved 74 trans am when I went to college. The gas mileage and upkeep was just too high. And all it was doing was sitting in the parking lot rusting.

16 is a fantastic age Anthony, enjoy it. As much as high school seems like your whole world now, I promise you, life gets even better. If your future leads you to college, and by your well written question, it seems it will, you will find that it is probably the greatest growing time in your entire life and the most fun you will have until you meet Mrs Right.

Let us know what circumstances you are under. Give us some insight.

With that being asked, I will say this. When I was 16 you could not stop me from buying an old camaro. It was my dream car. I ended up getting a 77 Berilinetta. What junker. Everything that could break did. But it was my baby. I learned a lot working on that car.

If you would allow me to give you some advice that I wish I would have taken when I was 16, I will. A car is a wonderful thing, but never forget that an old car, even a Z is an old car. It will have problems, and demand your time and your money. You will sacrifice many things if you decide to get an older car. If you really want a Z, then save up and get a good one. It is easier to maintain, than to restore. If you cannot afford a good Z, then wait. I know patience is in as short supply as money at 16, but I promise you if you can wait to buy a Z later in life, when you have more funds at your disposal, you will be rewarded by a FAR more pleasurable ownership experience.

haha yeah, i cant wait to get my first car.

well, i have rotated tires with my brother and performed an oil change with my cousin. thats about as far as my mechanical experience goes, but i do know that i have more knowledge about cars than your average teenager. ever since i was about 14 or 15, i scoured forums for cars like the honda s2000 and the acura rsx, and i have picked up a lot of knowledge along the way.

well, the car doesnt absolutely have to work everyday, i can take the bus to school, although that would suck. but i just found out today that i got a job at a local grocery store so i would like to have a car to drive to work, but if it were to be down, i guess i could ask my brother or one of my parents for a ride. thanks for sharing your experience, i never really thought about how having an old car could effect my social life.

yes, i do plan on attending college starting in fall of 2011. i plan on going to a college in the heart of atlanta, so i dont know if having a car would be very practical since most things are within walking distance, but i would love to have a car during my stay. if i were to get a car like an old z, i can see myself having to sell it once i hit college, but im really not sure.

see, thats the thing, i really dont think ill have the money to buy a well kept z when august rolls around. i have looked on craigslist and found 2 really nice looking 240s for 8k-9k. on top of that, repairs would burn a hole in my wallet. about how much would a well kept 280z cost?

Welcome to the forum!

You can also consider a 280ZX 70-83 or a 280ZX Turbo 81-83! These are very capable cars and much more reliable if you are not mechanically inclined. With the EFI system, it will definitely not hold you back. In the mean time, you can save up for a 240Z when your older. If you have to buy a 240Z or 280Z, I'd say ask your parents to help you out and buy a better condition car, get a job, and pay them back. It's better to start out good than bad. Trust me, it sucks to have a DD you can't drive.

from what you have said, a 280zx sounds really nice and would fit my needs. thanks for your input, ill look into it.

Thought I'd be the last one to say it but I agree, take thier advice above! I was like you too and bought my '77 280Z as my first car and boy was I took. No one could tell me anything and I had to have a Z before a reliable newer car first. Was told the engine was rebuilt but when I got it home I found that EVERYTHING they did was booty crack wrong. The body was nice and rust free and interior was great too but all the mechanicals were still 35 years old. No matter what I did soon as I replaced or fixed one thing another thing broke not one month later. Finally got the engine rebuilt, the right way, then thats when the tranny broke. The body as said is fine, just need to replace every old mechanical part. Aka a driving project car. So unless you can do the work yourself or shell piles of cash, if and when things do break, get a newer DD first. It's no fun when you miss a date cause you car hates :) , LOL

damn, i dont think i could really keep up with a car like that. dont get me wrong, i absolutely love cars, but i dont know if i have the knowledge and resources to keep an old z running. im starting to think that getting something like a 280zx would be a lot better for me than a 240z or a 280z. thanks for your input, i appreciate it.

im now off to research the 280zx and see if it would be a better choice for me over a 240 or 260z. if you have any suggestions on where to find information, i would greatly appreciate it. :)

Edited by pistonsfan14

. I first saw a 240z in our area back in 1973,but it was'nt until 1999 that I was able to see my way clear to buy one,

and bought one with the best BODY I could find. Mechanical issues are the easy part to fix especially on a carburetted car.. Look on the forums here ,most problems with poor running come from EFI.Of course if you are an electronics wizz no problem. I personally would avoid an old zed with EFI. Once a carburetor is in tune not much can go wrong .I would suggest try to learn the basic mechanical stuff .Buy or borrow books on car repair and maintenance ,and do a lot of reading on cars.If you are interested in cars the reading/learning can be easy. Buy a Haines repair manual for the 240-260.Lots of stuff you should read up on. My advice would be to give it a couple of years, learn as much as you can about these great little cars ,save like crazy and buy one with the very best BODY your money can buy. Most people can learn how to change a clutch plate or replace a water pump, but panel work is usually best left to experts. Not saying it cant be learned but it's not for the faint hearted. I am a qualified coach builder and would never suggest to anyone to buy a z just because its cheap.It won't be in the end.

.I would think probably all early Zeds have some rust by now.There must be dozens of 'projects' lying in back yards that people have started and then given up because they lose interest,run out of money or time.Owning an old Zed can be fun but it could become a burden if you can't do your own maintenance ,and can't afford to take the car to the shop. There is also huge satisfaction in working on your own car and understanding how everything works. Another thought ,read up on the development of the Z cars and how they evolved.Understanding some of this will make owning your 240z very rewarding .Good luck.

Edited by olzed

. I first saw a 240z in our area back in 1973,but it was'nt until 1999 that I was able to see my way clear to buy one,

and bought one with the best BODY I could find. Mechanical issues are the easy part to fix especially on a carburetted car.. Look on the forums here ,most problems with poor running come from EFI.Of course if you are an electronics wizz no problem. I personally would avoid an old zed with EFI. Once a carburetor is in tune not much can go wrong .I would suggest try to learn the basic mechanical stuff .Buy or borrow books on car repair and maintenance ,and do a lot of reading on cars.If you are interested in cars the reading/learning can be easy. Buy a Haines repair manual for the 240-260.Lots of stuff you should read up on. My advice would be to give it a couple of years, learn as much as you can about these great little cars ,save like crazy and buy one with the very best BODY your money can buy. Most people can learn how to change a clutch plate or replace a water pump, but panel work is usually best left to experts. Not saying it cant be learned but it's not for the faint hearted. I am a qualified coach builder and would never suggest to anyone to buy a z just because its cheap.It won't be in the end.

.I would think probably all early Zeds have some rust by now.There must be dozens of 'projects' lying in back yards that people have started and then given up because they lose interest,run out of money or time.Owning an old Zed can be fun but it could become a burden if you can't do your own maintenance ,and can't afford to take the car to the shop. There is also huge satisfaction in working on your own car and understanding how everything works. Another thought ,read up on the development of the Z cars and how they evolved.Understanding some of this will make owning your 240z very rewarding .Good luck.

well i am really starting to lean away from a 240z or a 260z because they are more prone to rust then say a 280zx. im sure i could get both a carbureted and a efi car to run but body work is something i would have to take it to a shop for, which is not what i am looking to do. but thank you for your input, it will help with my decision.

does anyone else have input regarding efi vs carbs?

That 'input' will differ depending on who you talk to. I owned a 1978 280Z for 12 years and a 1979 810 for 6 years. Both are EFI and both were pretty much trouble free for the entire time I owned them. I can (and have) deal with carbs or EFI. I don't think that EFI is easier or better than carbs or vice versa. Like they say, it is what it is. My take is if it has carbs, leave them on it and if it has EFI, leave that on it. Rather than doing a conversion from one to the other.

You'll get plenty of opinions on carbs versus injection. Both have merits and both have issues.

My first Datsun was a 1200 (B110). I'm not wanting to kill your dream but the 1200 is an ideal first car as it is simple to work on and they can the thrashed all day long without worry plus parts aren't expensive. You'd be shocked as to how easy they are to tweak into a great handling car. Power is down but you may not be ready for an injected L28, nor are you ready for the hole it will burn in your wallet everytime you need to fill up.

Have you thought about a Datsun 1600 (510)? Half way between the 1200 and the 240z. The 510's and early zeds run the L gata engine. The 510 uses the L16 and the 240z the L24, 260z the L26 and the 280z/zx the L28. So working on a L16 is much like working on a zed engine but it has two less cylinders. Handling is very good.

Save as much money as you can to buy the best example zed you can find.....or buy a smaller car to cut your teeth on.

That's my Datsun opinion.

James

Stop! Put the Craigslist down and walk away from the keyboard.

The first thing you should do is find a local Z car club and attend a couple meetings and get togethers. You will need some local support to help pick out the car and with any problems that might come up. Start cultivating that support by becoming a member of the local Z club.

The second thing you should do is download the FSM for the cars you're thinking about. Read and see how much you understand and feel capable of doing.

Third, price car insurance for the car. That might just kill the whole deal for right now.

Good luck!