IGNORED

Engine noise after oil change

Pomorza

Bit of an update. Went out this morning at 9am and started the Z. Sound is nowhere to be found. I revved it to where I did last night and nothing, no sounds, noting. To be honest the engine is a bit quieter than it was before the oil change. I'm not sure what to tell you guys. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Jan

Update:

Sadly the noise has returned. Here's what happens. When the car is dead cold and I start it there is not a peep out of the engine. Nothing, sounds like a perfectly good L28. When it reaches operating temperature the noise returns. When at idle and not hitting anything you can clearly hear it if you pay attention. It basically sounds like marbles or a rattling sound coming from the top of the motor. To me either the valve clearances are off or the cam is making noise. I've had a suggestion that the tensioner is bad and making noise.

Any ideas?

Jan

Tucson

P.S

I did pull the valve cover yesterday with a friend (Ztrain). There was nothing really odd that I could tell by looking. I did notice that there is no oil spray bar in there although my FSM shows there should be one. Rather odd. N47 head.

Edited by Pomorza

Don't rule out the timing chain tensioner as being the culprit. Other than the fact that you are saying it's comming from the top of the engine, that's what the rest of the description sounds like to me.

Sblake. Wouldn't the timing chain make noise when the car is cold? I've never owned an OHC engine some I don't really know. Any explanation would be great.

Jan

So this has happened to me in the past .

Look for a lost socket or wrench before assuming anything internal !

I've even found an original key rattling in the cooling fins of my Honda 900 !

Try using a magnet pick up tool in the area of where the sound is coming from. Something , a bolt , or nut might be lodged somewhere you can't see.

Good luck . :)

If you have a mechanic's stethoscope, that would help you to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Awesome I actually have one laying in my garage someplace. I will dust if off and get to work. Thanks

Jan

Suggest a few things:

1. Change back to 10W30 or whatever you used prior (oil filter too) and see what happens. As noted, could be coincidence, but this would help rule the weight change as the culprit out.

2. Check valve lash again. and while you have the valve cover off, take a couple of pictures.

3. No oil spray bar? Are you sure? I'm not an expert on this one, but I thought all L24's had this. Do you do your own valve work or does your mechanic do this. Any possibility that he took off the oil spray bar to adjust the valves and forgot to put it back?

Good luck,

Best,

Bob

Suggest a few things:

1. Change back to 10W30 or whatever you used prior (oil filter too) and see what happens. As noted, could be coincidence, but this would help rule the weight change as the culprit out.

2. Check valve lash again. and while you have the valve cover off, take a couple of pictures.

3. No oil spray bar? Are you sure? I'm not an expert on this one, but I thought all L24's had this. Do you do your own valve work or does your mechanic do this. Any possibility that he took off the oil spray bar to adjust the valves and forgot to put it back?

Good luck,

Best,

Bob

1. I'll more than likely do that.

2. I'm going to check the valve lash this upcoming week or weekend.

3. Its an L28 so it is possible that it went to an internal cam oil system. I'm not positive but its not there I'm sure. I was rather stunned when I saw it.

Jan