IGNORED

Kia Sportage weatherstip rocks!

steve91tt

I think that if Spring comes early this year, then I will measure the opening on my hatch and see how it compares to the liftgate on a Sportage in the JY.

Oops there aren't any Sportages there today, but maybe there will be by Spring; thank you Ohio winter! there are usually many new vehicles in the spring :)

Did you guys try ebay?  It seems to be slightly more expensive, but there's a number of U.S. sellers.  The advantage of a shorter delivery time may be worth the extra cost.

Liftgate weatherstrip:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIA-871911F000-GENUINE-OEM-WEATHERSTRIP-/271714005930?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AKia|Model%3ASportage&hash=item3f436ab3aa&vxp=mtr

Edited by TomoHawk

Yo-

There is a 2001 just delivered to my local JY.  I assume it's got the right stuff since it between 94-2003 range

Should I go to strip it of weather stripping?  There is a heatwave here (40+ degreesF.)  :)

1. Actually, Ill wait until Monday, since there is still a foot of frozen snow in the back yard.
Edited by TomoHawk

Yo-

There is a 2001 just delivered to my local JY.  I assume it's got the right stuff since it between 94-2003 range

Should I go to strip it of weather stripping?  There is a heatwave here (40+ degreesF.)  :)

1. Actually, Ill wait until Monday, since there is still a foot of frozen snow in the back yard.

May as well put the junked weather stripping to good use on a deserving Z.  A foot of snow?  Bummer.  Mid 80s here today and no break in sight  :D

Dennis

Is there anything else on it that's of use to a Zed?  I like those mirrors wit the  reading lamps, or the compass/speedometers (Cadillacs have those.)  I think my cigarette lighter is a little loose or worn out.  I will look it over when I see it.

Hey-  I'll send you some snow.  You can have it!

Edited by TomoHawk

Hey-  I'll send you some snow.  You can have it!

Got some of that, too. My wife and son went skiing today in the local mountains - good snow and temperature in the 50s. All part of the charm of California.

Years ago, to prove a point, some friends and I left the warm desert and headed up the mountain to go sledding in the snow. After sliding down the hill a few times and a quick lunch we jumped back in the car and headed for the beach and went wading in the Pacific before heading back to the desert. I don't miss the snow I grew up with in Wisconsin too much.

Dennis

We do that here with the help of the local Bally's.  You go there in the winter (after sledding or skiing) then get into the sauna room where they have some live palm trees (little ones.)

Sorry, I had a little SAD (snow-attributed dialog.)

Edited by TomoHawk

I tried my luck, and it paid off- sort of.

I went to the pull-it JY  and I located the 2001 Sportage.  the LR door weatherstrip was not hard at all to remove;  I only had to unscrew the  plastic sill protector and the weatherstrip pulled right off-  no screw driver needed.  I checked the liftgate weatherstrip and it looks close, but I'll bet it just a little short.  I will go back when the yard fully drains.

I looked the vehicle over for anything usable, and I think the front seats look interesting.  They are low-back seats with headrests and lots of side-bolstering.  I wasn't able to measure the mounting rails, but I think it might be close.

• 2 weeks later...

For the princely sum of $5 I got 9 pieces of Kia weatherstripping. 

I found that the rear passenger Sportage door seals work on the Z driver and passenger doors, and the front Sportage seal works on the Z hatch, having a few inches left over in both cases. The doors and hatch all close nicely with a good seal 'crush' all around. Hoping this is a good first step in eliminating some fumes...After being picky and discarding a couple pieces I shouldn't have bothered with, I have enough to redo the car when I need to. Fun cheap project, thank you to all for showing the way.

gallery_19792_452_1504772.jpg
From left, Original Driver Side, Ten Year Old Black Dragon Replacement, and Kia Sportage.
When I replaced the passenger side years ago I was also painting a fender, so I scuffed and shot the inside bead to kinda match the original piece. It held up well, was never noticed, or mentioned, so eventually I'll find a better color and do the same to the Kia stuff when I repaint the car.
gallery_19792_452_463398.jpg

I got a photo of the original and Kia weatherstripping too.  maybe someone could explain why the Datsun door seal is split and not tubular?

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it should be interesting to get the Kia one to fit into the hatch frame.  Would someone please get a close-up photo of a bit of the Kia  seal on the hatch frame?

post-1411-0-90117800-1427603548_thumb.jp

Edited by TomoHawk

• 1 year later...

Count me in as a believer . I've messed with everything else and never got my doors to close easy. Found some Kia seals (( FREEEE)) at the junkyard. I can't hardly believe it. Door lines up perfect , closes easy.

Once again I was fooled by MSA . Another product I purchased from them that sucked. I guess there is no QC or R&D at that place. Cost me years of hassle