IGNORED

3rd brake light options?

MEZZZ

• 1 month later...

I installed the third brake light I got from Dave today. But I did make a small change in mine. In an effort to make the installed light less obvious when it is not lit up, I added a red lens in front of the LEDs, and also extended the top cover to ensure that the LEDs can't be seen behind the lens from above.

The red lens over red LEDs does not change the brightness noticeably, but actually tends to widen the angle a view some, which can't be bad.

I like how it turned out, the picture on the car was with flash and so it lit the red slightly, it's not this visible in most lighting conditions.

post-8596-14150810292807_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150810293094_thumb.jpg

Here is my $15.00 third brake light that is a peel and stick! Yes, it's that easy. PEEL AND STICK! Inside the hatch and invisible when it's off. These are super tiny 12v SMD lights. Direct wire.

641497316_wwwpp-XL.jpg

641496826_GEYXg-XL.jpg

More info:

http://nyzcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=426

I liked them so much I bought some for the headlights!

566995095_oAwg5-XL.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
Here is my $15.00 third brake light that is a peel and stick! Yes, it's that easy. PEEL AND STICK! Inside the hatch and invisible when it's off. These are super tiny 12v SMD lights. Direct wire.

More info:

http://nyzcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=426

Dave,

I'm having problems getting a login for the NYZCC.org forums, can you give us some information about the SMD lights you've got? Are they side emitting or surface? Where did you get them?

Thank you.

Edited by twsutt
changed the word "emitting" for "discharge."

Mezzz, it looks to be about 21 degrees for the slope of the window. I uses a side view of a car in Photoshop and places a slanted line in the back and it came to 21.3 degrees. Not real accurate but close. The one you are looking at goes from 20 to 36 degrees.

It is close- 17.7-18.5 degrees, measured at the top, within the first 2-3 inches from the top weatherstrip moulding. Pitch begins to increase the farther down the glass due to the arc/radius. I'm not nit-picking, I have tools that measure that stuff...:bulb:

• 6 years later...

I finished my light recently.

It's a cheap  eBay  unit with LEDs and an aerodynamic design that mounts on the bootlid or hatch.  I also got a neat little electronic thing with some electronics and a 3-D accelerometer in it, that has a programmable flash pattern, and reacts to different braking.  If you brake lightly, the light will come on in the usual way, but if you brake hard, the accelerometer will sense that and the LED flashing pattern kicks in.  I mounted it on the glass with a long wire, using some rare-earth magnets, and is detachable for shows.

• Like 2

I am also awaiting my ebay third brake light (upon the advice of a member) that sticks to the rear glass.  Several sizes are available, I got the 11" 32 LED version.  I have the louvre on my hatch.  I got those "T tap" elec connectors.  the mounts swivel so you can position it.  I actually ordered 3 of them, 1 from the US for $10 so I can get it soon, and then 2 for $5 each as spares, since you cannot easily replace the bulbs.  Should be a great addition. 

zzz 3erd.jpg

I am unsure about those red LEDs regarding the brightness.  Ordinary red LEDs aren't bright at all.  Super-bright LEDs should be used instead. 

Are you willing to put your classic car at stake to save a few dollars on a cheap lamp that can barely be seen in daylight or not much brighter at night, when people are driving with tired eyes and not paying much attention anyway?

28 minutes ago, TomoHawk said:

I am unsure about those red LEDs regarding the brightness.  Ordinary red LEDs aren't bright at all.  Super-bright LEDs should be used instead. 

Are you willing to put your classic car at stake to save a few dollars on a cheap lamp that can barely be seen in daylight or not much brighter at night, when people are driving with tired eyes and not paying much attention anyway?

Another member on here has and recommended this specific one.  

I started a new thread in Electrical last week about the "Third Brake Light".

For now I have no choice but to go the cheap route, it will be better than nothing.  Didn't you just say that you got a "cheap ebay unit"?  Which one did you go with?

I will report back with some pics regarding the day brightness.  

Cars have used "regular" LEDs for years as the third brake light.  My DD 1999 Tahoe has a similar (stock) setup for the third brake light, as do other cars.  It's the only LED's on the car, and it has worked for a long time now.  

Edited by ramsesosirus

8 hours ago, psdenno said:

Available on Amazon, also.  Read the reviews on Amazon for "user" feedback and rating FWIW.

Dennis

Cool, thanks Dennis!  I received mine today and installed it- I also ordred 2 more of the same ones from China for $5 each/free shipping as spares. The upside is they are exactly the same, downside is the shipping time could be a month.  Took me most of the evening though, lots of breaks since it's been mid 90's all month here, which is very rare this time of year in Omaha.  We have VERY hot and humid summers as well as brutally cold and snowy winters (which the Z doesn't see).  

As the amazon reviews state, the mounting tape is crap.  I had to scratch off the mounting tape and use 3M emblem tape, as it fell off the window within a few minutes.  It is adjustable (loosen screws on side and rotate mounts), which is great for the angle of the Z glass.  Kind of expected this.

Ran the wire under the trim and grounded to one of the shock tower screws.  Had to add wire length to both wires, as they're like 22".  Not long enough.  The wire is very thin, smaller gauge than anything my hardware store had.  Used butt connectors/elec tape and used wire strippers to "clamp" them good.

My Chilton manual wasn't accurate on the wiring:  I had a 50/50 shot of getting the brake wire right:  a green with white stripe and a green with yellow stripe (and obviously the black ground).  I guessed wrong.  The brake wire is the Green with yellow stripe for an early 1976 280z (build date 9/75).  I used those "quick taps".  I like them.  Had to use pliers to snap them closed.  40 year old wiring is hard.  

Lights up just as bright as the ZEVO LED's, and you can position it with louvres so it is mostly visible.  Some angles will block it, but it glows pretty nicely.  The 32 LED 11" model is about the right size for a Z.  The LEDs look good, close enough together to look stock.

Great subtle and removable addition to a Z.  As for the wiring, well I had to splice the stock brake wire, but I see it as a permanent upgrade.  And mine isn't mint original anyway.   

This specific item is highly recommended by me.

I will get pics soon, the Z is looking pretty good.

Edited by ramsesosirus