IGNORED

Engine rebuild kit

Sailor Bob

Looking for a kit to do the engine in the 73. I am thinking of getting a cam kit from MS. Already have a gasket kit, header, exhaust and rebuilt SUs. Not a cheap process.

Anyway I found a spot called "rpm rons" that seems to have everything a fella could want. Sells a complete kit including timing kit and cam for about $650 or a lesser kit with out those goodies for about $400.

Anybody here used that supplier? If so, how was your experience with them?

Also, is there a better place to get a kit?

No experience there, or with any kits as I've never been interested in buying rebuild parts that way. I much prefer to select and buy the parts individually, so that I know exactly what I have and that it is what I want, not what some kit packager thinks I need. Might cost me a bit more that way, but if the kit is cheaper, there's likely been a corner or two cut somewhere, and I don't like cut corners inside my engines.

Just my opinion...

Well - I've never rebuilt an engine, I generaly look for cars in better condition (Typically new). In this case I got it wrong, so I am stuck with spending the additional funds to get her where she should be. If I take it to the local shop and simply hand it over to them they will rebuild it with the parts they procure at cost plus - I have doubts about that as well - more money can be made from a less expensive part.

If you would offer recommendations I would appreciate the guidance.

I am going to remove the engine when I get home (after I paint the hall).

A reputable local machine shop might actually save you some money. You may not need a turned crank, new pistons, new valve guides, etc. On the other hand, you may need them and not realize it, which will cost even more. Make a personal appearance a couple of times and get to know one of the guys at a machine shop. He might just take a personal interest in an old Z and take care of you.

Time and again as a contractor I hear " I don't have enough money to do it right" but time and again they have enough money to do it again.

I don't have the experience to recommend brands of parts for your Z, as I've not rebuilt a Datsun engine (yet), and so I've never done the homework to find the good stuff. If you were rebuilding an old British engine, I'd give you my opinions. But not for a Datsun, not yet.

I agree with having the machine shop inspect and measure the block, head, crank, rods, etc. They usually do the preliminaries in a matter of minutes in your presence, while explaining what they are checking for. If any machine work is needed you are already there and can leave the parts with them. I have confidence in their assessment, their ability to take correct measurements and the ordering of the correct parts. I don't think I ever experienced an unreasonable markup for parts because they ordered them. You can still do the engine assembly yourself, if you have the nessesary tools. I've done it several times, successfully, both inline 6s and V8s. You gain more confidence each time and it's gratifying work, but I consider the services of the machine shop the secret of my success. I never met a group of more helpful guys either, if something comes up unexpected, they bend over backwards to help solve the problem. Nice to have a pro in your corner when you need them. I always considered it money well spent.