IGNORED

280Z started - now what???

77-Z

I got some great help posting about electrical problems I had, and now actually have the car running...just not very well or very long! Basically I need guidance to help get the car running somewhat decently so I can actually drive it and hopefully address the many other issues that will need fixed. Here's some background to set the stage:

My 17-year-old son LOVES 280Zs, so when he was out of the country on a mission trip I located a 1977 280Z that had been sitting for a while and picked it up for $500. I actually started it up and carefully drove it home (about 30 miles) pumping the brakes the whole time and avoiding main roads. Needless to say that he was in a state of disbelief when he came home to find that he was the proud new owner of a Z!!!

The problems began shortly thereafter -- I believe adding a full tank of gas loosened the crud and thus clogged the fuel pump. The pump seemed to get much louder before it stopped running, and after removing the pump and gas tank this was verified. I cleaned the tank, bypassed the fuel sock, added a clear filter between the tank and fuel pump, cleared all gas lines (feed & return) etc. I then discovered a wire had also fallen off the negative battery cable (see 2 red wires post in electrical) which was reconciled the other day.

I finally got the car restarted, but it backfires horribly near the MAF? (up near the air cleaner/rubber boots). I know the car needs new vaccuum lines and probably some new wire connectors, but I would think I could get it running for more than a few seconds at this point...Any suggestions of WHERE I SHOULD BEGIN?

Thanks!

Mark (77-Z)

The INTAKE BOOT (just after the air filter/just before the AFM) has a large crack in it - will that cause the continual "backfiring" at the AFM (air flow meter?)? If I start the car and then manually hold the pivot inside the AFM it runs smoother.

???