IGNORED

Nissan Motorsports square port header gasket NLA

preith

Anyone know where to get a good quality paper gasket instead of the hooker piece? I need one for my head because of the porting that has been done - as John C mentions. Is the MSA one any good?

I'd like to know if the Hooker gasket is truly not cut-able. I plan on experimenting a bit with mine when it arrives.

With that said I'm not aware of any paper ones other than MSA's. Good... better than nothing I suppose.

I ordered a couple of these Hooker gaskets tonight. I am curious how they'll look, mine also says estimated ship date is 1/22

The header and old gasket came off pretty quickly. This was actually 2 MSA gaskets glued together and the 2nd primary pretty much blow torched the gasket after I bottomed out. I played a little with my C-clamps today and it looks like I just need to raise the 2nd primary up to the same level and plane as the middle two and it should seal normally. I also noticed the fuel line to the rear carb looked like it saw some real heat, the surface was glazed over and turning yellow-ish like it had started to melt. I'm glad it didn't melt all the way through, could've been pretty bad.

I also was looking under the car at my vapor lines and noticed a size-able dent in my glass pack... it's really no wonder it knocked the gasket loose. Not only did that man hole bang a dent in the Summit glass pack, it nailed it on the leading edge so I'm sure it really jarred the whole exhaust.

:beer:

post-18904-14150809572235_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150809572402_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150809572561_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150809572822_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150809573064_thumb.jpg

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I did some work on the header today at my friend's shop. Also still waiting on the gaskets from Summit...

Anyway, used an N47 head at the shop and didn't damage it either thankfully. I tacked the 2nd primary back to the middle two. We also used the torch so I could twist and straighten the flange on the 5th primary. That manhole cover also jarred things more than I thought. I had to weld up the collector flange. It's not my best work but I wanted to do light tacks to avoid burning through the old pipe

I think I'll be able to save my header :)

post-18904-14150809649921_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150809650536_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150809650953_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150809651361_thumb.jpg

post-18904-14150809651772_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey is there a gasket like this for the round port heads also? Im going to be swapping to triples and i am not sure if i should reuse the MSA header gasket i got on there now... it only has about 6k miles on it so its still fairly new.

Edited by NismoZ

Hey is there a gasket like this for the round port heads also? Im going to be swapping to triples and i am not sure if i should reuse the MSA header gasket i got on there now... it only has about 6k miles on it so its still fairly new.

I'm not aware of any round port gaskets other than the MSA paper or OEM - which isn't recommended with a header. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about using the paper variety on a street car. It's only a concern when subjected to long periods of additional heat/stress from a motor sports environment such as an HPDE or road racing.

With that said I've yet to receive the Hooker gasket, still on back order, but once it arrives I plan on experimenting a bit (in a non-critical area) to see how it responds to cutting.

In regards to reusing the old one... it could have only 50 miles on it and would probably not be reusable. Once it's torqued down and used they typically don't remove without damaging. Plus in the grand scheme of things what's another $12? Certainly not worth the time and effort to have to redo.

In regards to reusing the old one... it could have only 50 miles on it and would probably not be reusable. Once it's torqued down and used they typically don't remove without damaging. Plus in the grand scheme of things what's another $12? Certainly not worth the time and effort to have to redo.

Yea thats what my thoughts are also... Ive heard the MSA Header gaskets are better made than the regular oem stander paper gaskets.. ive also read that others have reused the header gaskets without issue but im still iffy about it.

Maybe somebody else can chime in on this. Thanks for the reply btw :classic:

With that said I've yet to receive the Hooker gasket, still on back order, but once it arrives I plan on experimenting a bit (in a non-critical area) to see how it responds to cutting.

I just checked my order status and expected arrival of the gasket changed to 2/26 :stupid:

It said 2/3 expected arrival for a while but must have changed in the last couple days. Jeg's lists it on their website but says "ships in 4 days". I might have to call them and ask if they're available there.

I just checked my order status and expected arrival of the gasket changed to 2/26 :stupid:

It said 2/3 expected arrival for a while but must have changed in the last couple days. Jeg's lists it on their website but says "ships in 4 days". I might have to call them and ask if they're available there.

Yeah, Summit's been slipping, I'm beginning to wonder about them. It seems once the inventory starts to deplete it's a red flag for financial difficulties. I recently ordered ARP moly lube from and even that was on back order for 1 month! The order was promptly canceled.

I've had issues in the past with Jegs and back orders even though the part may be listed as "ships in 4 days". Let us know if you call them though.

I'm not aware of any round port gaskets other than the MSA paper or OEM - which isn't recommended with a header. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about using the paper variety on a street car. It's only a concern when subjected to long periods of additional heat/stress from a motor sports environment such as an HPDE or road racing.

After a very simple modification I never had trouble with an OEM style gasket at HPDE's, in fact the only manifold gasket I've ever had problems with is the paper gasket that came with my header. The paper gasket cracked after about 3000 miles and left me with a nice big exhaust leak.

The modification was due to the header flange not being perfectly flat, and it consisted of putting a very thin layer of copper silicone around each exhaust port on both sides of the gasket and then letting it sit for a couple hours and bolting it on. No problems whatsoever running the OEM gasket like that even with 30 minute sessions in 105 degree heat.

EDIT--I did get a gasket with a headset from the machine shop that must have been for an E30 head or something, because the holes on the intake side were way small. I opened it up with a dremel and a sanding roll no problem. This was a laminated graphite gasket.

Edited by jmortensen

Back when I bought my Hooker gasket set I got it from a local performance parts shop. They had it overnight from a warehouse in Portland, no shipping cost. Any parts house that sells street performance stuff for a small block Chevy (Edelbrock, Holley, Flowmaster, etc.) should be able to get this part in short order. Why mess with Summit or Jegs?

For what USED to be speed and convenience. In my case the parts would arrive at my door the next working day via ground.

Agreed. Typically ground shipped parts from Summit get here in within a day or two because they come from Reno. My schedule makes it difficult to make it to the local speed shop when they're open. I haven't had much time to call around the last couple weeks, been running non stop