IGNORED

Inner fender and cowl rubber cushions

AZ-240z

I am looking for the rubber cushion blocks that are mounted on top of the inner fenders just in front of the inspection lids that the fenders and ends of the cowl rest on.

Anyone ever tried to re-creat these rubber cushion blocks or happen to have a supply of NOS pieces? Can't find a part number on the parts CD. The correct demensions would be of vital importance to fabricate as well as the correct material type and density.

There would be four cushion rubber blocks, one under each fender, and one under each end of the cowl.

My explanation may be pretty vague, but any help appreciated.

Dan

Dan,

I believe the parts you are seeking are:

Rubber bumper Inspection lid – 4 needed

63222-E4103

Rubber Cushion Inspection lid – 2 needed

63223-E4101 (superseded to 63223-E4102)

All are currently available via Courtesy Nissan

Keith

Dan,

I believe the parts you are seeking are:

Rubber bumper Inspection lid – 4 needed

63222-E4103

Rubber Cushion Inspection lid – 2 needed

63223-E4101 (superseded to 63223-E4102)

All are currently available via Courtesy Nissan

Keith

Thanks, Keith, but it's not the inspection lid bumpers that I am after. The cushions I am looking for are mounted on top of brackets attached to the top of the inner fenders just in front of the inspection lids. The fenders, themselves rest on top of these cushions and can not be seen. The cowl cushions are also mounted on top of brackets at either end of the inner cowl structure to which the cowl is mounted and is also hiden beneath the cowl.

This could be a real tuffy to define, but thanks for giving it a shot.

Dan

Are these the cushions you are referring to? (See the picture below).

It looks like it might be best to replace them with closed cell foam. See this link:

http://http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36657&highlight=fender+foam

The inner fender rubber (long rubber strip) is available from Motorport Auto for $21.95 a side. Part #34-1221

Rich

post-17418-14150809486694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rich1

In the microfiche part number 63223-E4102 rubber cushion Qty. 2 is shown, same as Keith found, but nothing else. The raised bracket itself is not shown in the illustration either. In his book, Wick Humble even comments on the varying under fender supports used over the S30's 9 years of production.

I have looked for example pics of the originals, but didn't find any intact. Dan, your car, like mine, should only have the one raised bracket under each fender, that this rubber is applied to, as in the pic below. The rubber seems to have disintegrated over time to the point of just being gone. My car had two strips of common household weatherstrip that would be available at any hardware store in its place under the front fenders. I can understand your preference of duplicating the original, but in this case the original didn't pass the test of time. The suggestions of using a compressable, closed cell foam, cut to fit are the best option in my opinion.

I am at a loss identifying the other rubber you describe under the cowl screen. I have only seen the large, flat, white, foam rubber like sheets that are glued to the underside of the cowl screen itself.

Edited by geezer
clarification

I have looked for example pics of the originals, but didn't find any intact. Dan, your car, like mine, should only have the one raised bracket under each fender, that this rubber is applied to, as in the pic below. The rubber seems to have disintegrated over time to the point of just being gone. My car had two strips of common household weatherstrip that would be available at any hardware store in its place under the front fenders. I can understand your preference of duplicating the original, but in this case the original didn't pass the test of time. The suggestions of using a compressable, closed cell foam, cut to fit are the best option in my opinion.

I am at a loss identifying the other rubber you describe under the cowl screen. I have only seen the large, flat, white, foam rubber like sheets that are glued to the underside of the cowl screen itself.

Thanks, Ron. You nailed it exactly. That raised upside down U bracket in the middle of your attached pic is what I am referring to. My fenders are on so I intend to just find some very dense closed cell rubber foam to glue and wedge in from beneath. As you mentioned, my car does not have those other supporting foam cushions shown in other attached pics in this thread.

And Rich and everyone, thanks for all the info and searches for this info which I couldn't find.

This is indeed a very special place and gathering of terrific people.

I wish us all the very best in the year to come.

Dan

Yep it sure is a good site.

The thickness (could be read as height) of the closed cell foam is important as too much may cause the fender to dent if weight is applied to either side of the support location.

Has anyone documented the recommended thickness of closed cell foam to use at each support location?

Cheers

James

I just looked at my cowl and it is exactly as you describe it here.

John