IGNORED

Replacement seat covers-QUALITY??

mattbibbey

Hi everybody, i'm currently restoring a total wreck of a 240Z and i'm slowing down and it's getting me down. So something I can do now is replace the seat covers and foam which have had rats living on them for over 20years! I looked on the other threads but could find a discussion specific to the quality of the companies now supplying these kind of reproductions. So advice is gladly accepted hahaha.

Thanks for your time everyone and hopefully i won't be the only person to gain from the answers!

Matt

While my car still has the old 38 year old vinyl and foam, I have personally seen the replacement covers sold by Classic Datsun Motorsport on another car, and they are an amazingly accurate match for my originals. They are probably what I will use when the time comes someday.

I believe Black Dragon has a very good selection that covers the types of materials similar to original. Although I have not purchased any from them specifically, I have installed three sets of these aftermarket upholstery kits and the quality is very good, probably better than the originals.

While my car still has the old 38 year old vinyl and foam, I have personally seen the replacement covers sold by Classic Datsun Motorsport on another car, and they are an amazingly accurate match for my originals. They are probably what I will use when the time comes someday.

Classic Datsun Motorsports is the way to go.

"has anyone heard of Distinctive Industries? Specifically, has anyone bought and fitted their 240Z seat covers?"

Distinctive Industries products are the ones that Classis Datsun uses. I have used their foam and it works just fine. Good luck with the project.

I have found three alternative manufacturers:

Distinctive Industries

http://www.distinctiveindustries.com/

Possibly sold via:

Classicdatsun.com

Datsunparts.com

Banzai (http://zzxdatsun.com/catSoftTrim.php )

Seatz Manufacturing

http://www.seatzmfg.com

Possibly sold via:

Motorsports Auto (MSA)

Z Car Source

Pony Express Industries

501-337-5909

Has original patterns from the 1980s

Possibly sold via:

Now Ventures, Inc (http://www.ninfiniti.com)

I have not compared the covers side-by-side and therefore cannot attest to the accuracy of the vinyl texture. Do note however, not all manufactures sew the pleats, some choose to heat seal the pleats.

Three choices

ices

Hi everybody, i'm currently restoring a total wreck of a 240Z and i'm slowing down and it's getting me down. So something I can do now is replace the seat covers and foam which have had rats living on them for over 20years! I looked on the other threads but could find a discussion specific to the quality of the companies now supplying these kind of reproductions. So advice is gladly accepted hahaha.

Thanks for your time everyone and hopefully i won't be the only person to gain from the answers!

Matt

Since I have OCD, I pretty much bought and tried all of them. (Believe it or not, I re-upholstry my car 3-4 times. I am happy with the kit from Classic Datsun including their form kit fro the price. Note: MSA Seat kit do not fit right on seat form kit from Classic Datsun. So I would say their kit are from different manufactures.

If you want totaly oroginal, I can get an exact matching ones from Japan for a cost of $450 a set (and use the form from Classic Datsun) I would recommande these on Low VIN cars.

Esprist

www.jdm-car-parts.com

Here's part of a thread that I contributed to over four years ago (where has the time gone!) showing a comparison to DI seat kits compared to the my orginal seats. As you can see, the grain pattern on the sides of the aftermarket ones are not a deep as the original.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=128080&postcount=5

Edited by DatsunZGuy

I purchased the MSA kit. I went with the New Foam and Leather, it turned out fantastic! I still have the seats out of the car and will post some pics on request. Some advice for everyone:

1. Be Patient, if you get pissed off STOP and come back at it later.
  2. Whatever material/style you choose, allow it to warm up before you start trying to put it on the seat frame. It will come out better if the material is warm and more flexible.
  3. Paint the frame, it will look nicer when finished.
  4. For 240z's be sure to buy the restrapping kit, for later Z's consider replacing the metal springs.
  5. Do not Force anything, if you get stuck - Post for help or PM me.

I have PLENTY of left over Seat Spring, If anyone is interested PM me.

Edited by ZCurves