IGNORED

How do I test a 280 clock?

nwZfan

I figured putting 12V battery (+ & -) to the blue and black leads should power the clock, but it doesn't move or make any noise. The guy I bought it from says it worked and says I need to connect it to the harness to work correctly. I plan on putting it in my 240, so I will be altering the wire harness anyway. I am just trying to determine if I have a working clock first. Any help is appreciated.

Ken

Remember it only makes a tick every once in a while (15) seconds?) I don't listen to mine much, but it does tick.

An everyday quartz time piece will tick every second.

An older mechanical, wind up, self winding movement would normaly tick 5 times per second, however, some high grade hand made precision movements of the day could tick at a rate of 15 times (or more) per second.

Bonzi Lon

I left it connected for a bit and the hands did not move. Do you agree that 12V (ground to black and positive to blue) should make the clock run if it is not dead?

I tested a 240 clock in the same manner and did hear a ticking noise if listening closely. blue to 12v black to gnd. I left it for 10 min. and the clock advanced 10 min.

I would say your clock is non functional.

There were some threads on here about replacing the internals with a more modern component.

TZ

That applies to clocks with a second hand. Ordinary car clocks tick less often like 6, 12, 15, or 60 seconds, to save energy.

Sorry, that is wrong. Take it from a watchmaker clockmaker that has been in the business for over 20 years. The majority of quartz clocks in automobiles will tick at one second intervals, nothing to do with saving energy as they use less than any other form of power.

Bonzi Lon

It's time to get your eyesight and hearing checked there Tom. I've NEVER heard of a clock that only clicks every 5, 10, 15 or 20 seconds to save energy. EVER.

Clocks tick Every Second, and some click a few times per second. Or they don't "Click" at all. My Rolex does not "Click" at all. It's just one smooth movement. If it starts to click, I want my Money back.

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain