IGNORED

R-T diff mount Group Buy

Zs-ondabrain

I checked all the auto parts stores in my area, but no one had them. I found some online from Summit Racing for under $9. Then I e-mailed Darrel, who found a set at s store near him for $11.74, if I recall. He bought them for me and we met for lunch so he could deliver them to me. The overall cost was a little more than that, though, because bought him lunch and reimbursed him for the expense of the bump stops...

And the costs keep mounting...I offered to help Darrel with a little exhaust repair on his Altima. It may not be Z, but at least it is in the family! And to give Darrel proper credit, he helped me crack open a 5-speed and also helped install it in my '73. So, I guess he had a free lunch coming! Sorry, I'm getting off track from the RT mount discussion...

Here are a couple of pics I took after attaching the Energy Suspension bump stops. I hope to get one installed tomorrow. More pics to follow!

post-6323-14150809180478_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150809180715_thumb.jpg

While doing Z Tyler Z's front suspension today, (Tokico's and Eibachs with ES urethane everything) We had to go to Schucks Auto Parts for an outer tie rod end and they had both sides in stock (Moog). Anyways, we stopped off at Auto Zone and found they had ES Urethane ball joint and tie rod end cups and also found the GM poly mount and the black Bump stops in stock and on the shelf.

The bump stops were $12.99 ish' So it's nice to know it's readily available down the road. Wish I would have known that before I ordered from Jegs.

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks for the quick write-up with needed info Arne. That helps. I'll be doing the rest of Tylers car next week (back end of the car) and everything is coming out for struts, springs, urethane and the R/T mount.

Been working on his car for 12 hours (ran into issues) so I'm going to bed.

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Hi Dave

Rec'd my mount last Thursday. It's a nice piece of work. I picked up a set of bump stops this afternoon. I presently have my car up on stands with the engine / diff and the complete suspension out of the car. I read about Motorman7's troubles with his addition of the curved mustache on his 71Z. Besides replacing all the oem suspension pcs on my '70 (4/70 s/n 2725), I'm also moving the Diff back using the curved mustache bar. It will be a few weeks until I get the rebuilt Diff back from Vancouver. So I'll have to wait until then to install the mount /diff. Anyone else doing the RT mount & moving the Diff back on an early Zed. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Dave for putting this group buy together.

Cheers

Greg

For altering like Motorman7 did, I would just follow his lead. The mount was originally designed for the V8 Conversions but was found to work great on all other applications. However, moving the diff back would require you altering the mount by turning it around and redrilling like he did.

I'll be installing an R/T on my 70' as well so the info you guys provide will likely be used by me as well. I have the R200 with the curved mustache bar, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Thanks again guys.

Dave

Hi Greg and Dave,

Actually, the install was pretty easy once I flipped it around. Everything lines up pretty well when you flip it. All you have to do is add the hole symmetric about the center plane. Mine was a bit snug (Same as Arne mentioned), but it was a good snug. Better snug than loose.

If any one ever did do another run of the mounts, it wouldn't hurt to have that hole pre-drilled. As it was, the steel was fairly soft (or my bits real sharp) and the hole was easy to drill.

Best Regards,

Rich