IGNORED

My 260Z build (Brake upgrades and Mods)

Zs-ondabrain

So lately, been doing a little work on the 260Z. Decided to do something DIFFERENT with the Fuel door. Always loved the round, flush doors on other cars. It'll have the magnetic "push to open/ push to close" pop-out catch. But when closing up the filler area, I had to make a drain with a tube if any water gets in as it won't spill out like the stock lid allows.

I also had to modify and extend the spring loaded hinge, then reinforce the lid and hinge to minimize movement or missalignment when opening or closing.

My damn camera broke yesterday so here is the minimal amout until I can take more pics.

So when making the design or Mod, I, as you all know, LOVE Datsun. So I thought, a round lid should be familiar to all in "the Know" And what I'm thinking is paint it the same color as the car but have a Blue tinted Pearl for the middle and red tinted pearl for the outer circle halves. The do something similar for the lettering in the center section. So it'll be more of a Ghost design that you actually have to look to see it.

post-4921-14150812457453_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812458125_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812459436_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812460389_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812460984_thumb.jpg

Oh ya, and all this while Trying to QUIT SMOKING!!! It's 9:30 and I've only had 5-1/2 cigarettes today. Might have one more before bed but gonna try and pass it up. We'll see. I've been meaning to quit for about 25 years now (started when I was 13, I'm 39 now) and figured it this way......... I love my wife, my hobbies and my kids, I wanna be around to finish the race. I ain't getting any younger and smoking ain't making me any healtheir.

Wish me luck!! Hopefully being in the garage will keep me busy enough to get thru this. God forbid anyone wizz me off this week.

Dave

Good luck man. I've quit twice. First time stuck for a couple years, it's probably been 5 since the last time I quit. Smoked between a pack and 2 packs a day for about 13 years altogether. Honestly I don't feel that much different at all, but not giving the state the sin tax money is a nice feeling. A-holes still get me when I buy a bottle of Tuaca though.

Interesting fuel door. Looks nice so far.

The new mod looks like the 'Nissan' Logo. Ghost paint 'DATSUN' on it :)

I quit smoking 12 years ago after 32 years. Woke up one morning and asked myself why I was smoking these things. Answer was, 'cause your an idiot, Lon'. 'Oh yeah, thats right'. ( Borrowed from the movie 'Heathers'.)

Absolutly the BEST thing I have ever done. You can do it too.

A year later totally gave up alcohol too. Getting a DUI in my own driveway made me give it up. The free margretias at Z-CON were too tempting so I had to leave. I just refuse to go down those 2 roads again.

Bonzi Lon

• 2 weeks later...

so I did a little more work on it and YES Loni, It is a Datsun Logo design.

Here's the progress so far. I painted it with black primer to check m lines and see how it looked so far.....

OH BTW.... Seriously considering using a cable driven Linear Actuator to open and close the lid and I'll remove the spring. Doing this will also eliminate the "Steal my gas" worry that I had.

post-4921-14150812580121_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812580837_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812581398_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812581972_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150812582555_thumb.jpg

post-4921-1415081258315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Dave. Nice job. On the smoking thing. I started when I was 15. Hell, thats a long time ago. I'm now 66. Anyhow at the age of 51, I suffered a major artery blockage which resulted in a full blown' heart attack' or M.I.After 2 weeks in coronary care, I swore I would never smoke again to stuff up all the good work the doctors and nurses put in to me. And I havn't smoked since. Unfortuately the damage is done, as after prostate surgery 2 years ago I had cardiac arrest, resulting in being fitted with an implanted defibrilator. This thing has brought me back from death on two occasions since.

The sooner you can quit the habit the better. You will feel better and have a few more dollars in your pocket. As an added bonus you will live to see grandchildren, or even Great grandchildren, of which I have three.

Life is bloody good at the moment.

Sorry to get away from the thread. Just thought I would wish you well with the smoking thing. They say there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker, and thats so true. I can smell cig. smoke half a mile away.

Brian.:beer:

As I slow down to a dead stop (smoking that is) I've noticed my sense of smell and taste have already jumped 5 fold. with the exception of winter, I hope to start walking more, joging on occasion, taking the dogs out more often, etc, etc. You get the idea.

It's like being a prisoner for years and I'm sitting here making Mental notes of all the things I wanna do once I'm free of this incarceration. Think of the money I'll save, the Parts I can buy, the........ ya, you get it.

Thanks guys,

Dave

• 1 month later...

2 words Kirk, "Bring tools" ROFL

Glad to hear ya made it thru the Holiday Season. My door is Always open to you and your Family. Anytime you're in the area, stop on by.

Things have obviously slowed down a bit. Too damn cold in the garage and this Christmas has swept all the enthusiasm out the door. Just gotta finish this MSA order and another customers Order and get back to work, no matter what.

I need money for paint and time to finish all the other little sub-projects within the main project.

DAve

• 2 months later...