IGNORED

Stock 71 240z engine pictures

woytovich

Mark.....Remove the smog pump.....plug inlet to air cleaner where smog hose was attached...remove air injection tubes from exhaust manifold.....plug holes. then get Z Therapy to build your balance tube free of garbage and reset timing to 17 degrees BTDC. Guy

• 1 month later...
Mark.....Remove the smog pump.....plug inlet to air cleaner where smog hose was attached...remove air injection tubes from exhaust manifold.....plug holes. then get Z Therapy to build your balance tube free of garbage and reset timing to 17 degrees BTDC. Guy

desmogged, you can set the base timing to 17 degrees BTDC???

i have everything removed on my '72 SU roundtop carbs except the "throttle opener".

right now everything on my ignition system is new (coil, plugs, wires, ballast resistor, points, condenser) but im only set at 7 degrees BTDC. can i really raise it that much? :paranoid:

That's a firm "maybe". Depends on a number of things, not the least of which is what distributor (and advance curve) you are using. Many 240Zs will tolerate that much advance, but some won't. I'd advance it a few degrees at a time until you start hearing a bit of detonation, then back it off a couple.

FWIW, I'm running my late '71 with the stock '71 dizzy (w/Pertronix) at 12° BTDC.

I'm looking for detailed pics of a truly stock 1971 engine... restored to stock is fine too.

I am getting a 71 that I need to just get running before I consider upgrades to the engine and I want o be able to see what is missing or has been modified...

Thanks,

Mark

These are the pictures of 12・1971 cars.

One is fully restored

Another one is an original with 1 flaw(upper hose is not braided)

post-16910-1415080930928_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150809309718_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150809310162_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150809310593_thumb.jpg

Mark....The FSM puts smogged engines at 5 degrees btdc, desmogged at 17 degrees btdc. I agree with above.......advance 5 degrees at a time and avoid any detonation.
We need to make clear a distinction here - there is a difference between a true non-emissions L24 and a de-smogged emissions L24. Yes, the factory spec for a non-emission L24 is 17° BTDC. But that doesn't translate directly to a de-smogged emissions L24 unless you do it completely - to include either installing the non-emissions distributor with it's different advance curve, or re-curving your emissions distributor.