IGNORED

Who actually did S30's styling? We can make it clear

kats

Hello everyone,

This time I would like to start this new thread.

Who did it?

We know Mr.Matsuo is a chief designer of S30 styling.

Later on we will talk about very early styling study,

but right now what I want to say is,the S30 series car which you actually have got is,styled by Mr.Tamura.

Mr.Tamura was inducted Mr.Matsuo's team when S30's styling "concept" were almost settled down.

He did every body panel detailed styling.Not only surface,he created bumper,over rider,front grill etc.

You will see how your S30's beautiful body surface are different from early styling study cray models.

Mr.Tamura has never introduced to the public as a "designer of S30".

But I think he definitely deserves to be credit.

We can ask him every little thing about surface,he will reply.

kats

PS: attached drawings are by Mr.Tamura.He told me some styling sketch of S30 which we have seen in books are not described 100% correct.Interesting is,he did not do any "official" sketch when he had worked really hard.

post-3193-14150808730097_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150808730671_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Thats great information. I will always look on my car and others like it as a thing of beauty. Everyone always says they are a knock off of the e-type etc. but the lines and shape are unique. To think about someone coming up with the idea and taking it from that idea to production is amazing. Mr.Tamura is definitely someone that gets my praise and awe for what he did. Thanks.

carl

Hello everyone,

This time I would like to start this new thread.

Who did it?

We know Mr.Matsuo is a chief designer of S30 styling.

Later on we will talk about very early styling study,

but right now what I want to say is,the S30 series car which you actually have got is,styled by Mr.Tamura.

Mr.Tamura was inducted Mr.Matsuo's team when S30's styling "concept" were almost settled down.

He did every body panel detailed styling.Not only surface,he created bumper,over rider,front grill etc.

You will see how your S30's beautiful body surface are different from early styling study cray models.

Mr.Tamura has never introduced to the public as a "designer of S30".

But I think he definitely deserves to be credit.

We can ask him every little thing about surface,he will reply.

kats

PS: attached drawings are by Mr.Tamura.He told me some styling sketch of S30 which we have seen in books are not described 100% correct.Interesting is,he did not do any "official" sketch when he had worked really hard.

Cool info as always, Kats!

You are very right, and most car designs are done in a team, not a person.

When are you stopping by L.A. next time?

Esprist

www.jdm-car-parts.com

A subject near to my heart, Kats! The pictures are great! Where did you find them? What is said about the lines with the arrows? Those are 'signature' lines for the S30. Very technical, those hard black lines can be duplicated mathematically. They are hand drawn with "french curves". Notice the blend of different curves along the rake of the body. Also, notice the proportion chosen to sharply curve the rear window line up to the rake line. This is cool stuff.

post-4148-1415080874049_thumb.jpg

Thank you cbudvet,Mr.Tamura will be very pleased for your word.

Hi esprist! I will be L.A. next month:) thank you for watching.

Chris,I have got these images and letters from Mr.Tamura.Fellow my Japanese club member happened to see him in a car wash stand last year,

Mr.Tamura walked towad fellow's S30,then introduced himself as a finalist of S30 body styling.

Mr.Tamura joined our club,and he described very details and even he showed drawings by his hand.He sent us a few letters,and he has been keeping us update information from his memory.

I would like to know who is the hero (most valuable person) in S30's styling for the people?

It could be a man who showed the concept of the car?

or a man who sketched S30's body style first?

or executives who said "GO this project" in the conference?

or members who involved S30's styling?

Most of us say Mr.Matsuo , because he is the chief designer of S30.

"Type A" cray model is the begining of the styling study,that was a open car(roadster). Mr.Matsuo began to study from SP/SR311 seeking a new sports car in 1965.

Type A has suger scoop head lights.

Some of us who have red books really carefully may say Mr.Yoshida because he did great job with Mr.Matsuo from the begining.He did Type C which has pop up head lights and nice roof and side and rear section,

you will be surprised how this Type C is so cool!

To say to make it vaery short, S30's styling is oriented by mixing of Type A front section and Type C side and rear section.This was in early 1967.

I think Mr.Matsuo is the chief,but also he is the manager of the project. Mr.Matsuo had the contorl of the new sports car project(I mean within his own territory) also had to do manythings you know,such as negotiation with his boss,other sections,arrangement for presentation for executive,desk work,etc.

Mr.Matsuo had not been able to have enough time to touch the clay models like the early stage gradually toward when S30's styling was almost settled down, in early 1967.

Those time was corresponding to Mr.Tamura joined the team.Mr.Tamura did so hard on finalizing S30's body surface, he told me he still has feelings in his hand every surface of her(S30),in his word,he had spent very hot and hard time with her every day and night.

Every time he touched her, she told him that places where she wanted to be more beautiful!

Mr.Tamura said it is like an old craftsman of Buddha statue,he did not creat it, Buddha itself...

Mr.Tamura involved nearly one year for finalizing S30 styling.His boss Mr.Matsuo checked Mr.Tamura's work time to time,Mr.Tamura told me he had never got "NO" nor "do it again,make it more nicer" words from Mr.Matsuo.

His work was always perfect,I can see it.And everybody agree it.

kats

PS:I think here in this club,nobody will say Mr.Albrecht Goertz is the hero.

He did not touch/mention/teach anything about S30's styling.He was a consultant and visited Nissan for 2 weeks every 3 months mid 1963 to 1965.

No-way to be involved with S30 body styling.

Many of old Nissan designers are saying Mr.Goertz only brought a styling method of clay model,that is all.Nothing more than that.

post-3193-14150808741824_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

Mr.Tamura did so hard on finalizing S30's body surface, he told me he still has feelings in his hand every surface of her(S30),in his word,he had spent very hot and hard time with her every day and night. Every time he touched her, she told him that places where she wanted to be more beautiful! Mr.Tamura said it is like an old craftsman of Buddha statue,he did not creat it, Buddha itself...

Does anything more need to be said?

• Like 1

Mr.Tamura did so hard on finalizing S30's body surface, he told me he still has feelings in his hand every surface of her(S30),in his word,he had spent very hot and hard time with her every day and night. Every time he touched her, she told him that places where she wanted to be more beautiful! Mr.Tamura said it is like an old craftsman of Buddha statue,he did not creat it, Buddha itself...

Does anything more need to be said?

Well put post nr.100? ;)

Thanks to Nissan, Mr. K & Matsuo - Mr. Tamura..

- "kats" & others who is posting here

My Z clearly got "Bagua" :love: