IGNORED

24th October 1969 - The S30-series Z public debut.

HS30-H

1 hour ago, SpeedRoo said:

Corrected for accuracy.

48 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Well, if you're correcting for accuracy, it would be New Sight Orange, Sunshine Yellow, and Safari Gold.

Thanks. Would be nice to pin down the colour of that Fairlady Z-S in the B/W photos. Something makes me think it looks kind of metallic. I wonder if it was #901 Silver Grey?

6 hours ago, HS30-H said:

I feel it too. Wish I had been there.

Imagine just for a moment what it would be like to be a Nissan floor salesman November 1969.  A youngish lad in his mid 20s walks into the showroom, flush with cash from somewhere- a bonus or inheritance, perhaps- it doesn’t really matter to you when it comes down to it.  He asks for an allocation for a new Z, but will need something in the interim to get him through the Christmas season. 
What to offer him? A Bluebird 1600 coupe, perhaps? Or a P510 1600 2-door, and the number to a local shop that can trick it out to rally specifications? Something more pragmatic, like a Skyline GTX? Or do you go for the throat, and hint that GTR buyers might get preferential build slots? 
Must’ve been the absolute best-of-times. From your perspective, the next 2 years are guaranteed to be busy ones. 

Edited by xs10shl

9 hours ago, HS30-H said:

What with the show lasting for two weeks, Nissan certainly switched cars around on the displays to keep things fresh.

Here are the different cars that I see across various photos, as more and more come to light:

*918 Orange 432 on the rotating display (headlamp covers, lettered tyres etc).
*919 Yellow 432 on the main floor and then moved onto the rotating display (no headlamp covers, non-lettered tyres).
*Blue 'Fairlady Z Export Model' LHD on the angled 'speed wall' display.
*918 Orange 432-R on the main floor and then moved onto the 'speed wall' display (black hood, rear spoiler, plain steel wheels).
*920 Gold Fairlady Z-L on the main floor ('deluxe' bumpers).
*B/W photo Fairlady Z-S on the main floor and then moved onto the rotating display ('standard' non-trim bumpers, but with optional hubcaps).

Any advance on six?

Two weeks? That's plenty of time to crank out a few more prototypes. It would be fun to think that a few of these were possibly completed after the show had already started.

2 hours ago, xs10shl said:

Imagine just for a moment what it would be like to be a Nissan floor salesman November 1969.  A youngish lad in his mid 20s walks into the showroom, flush with cash from somewhere- a bonus or inheritance, perhaps- it doesn’t really matter to you when it comes down to it.  He asks for an allocation for a new Z, but will need something in the interim to get him through the Christmas season. 
What to offer him? A Bluebird 1600 coupe, perhaps? Or a P510 1600 2-door, and the number to a local shop that can trick it out to rally specifications? Something more pragmatic, like a Skyline GTX? Or do you go for the throat, and hint that GTR buyers might get preferential build slots? 
Must’ve been the absolute best-of-times. From your perspective, the next 2 years are guaranteed to be busy ones. 

I reckon - if he was nicely cashed up - he'd have already bought one of the PGC10 Skyline GT-Rs that were released in February 1969...

...as a nice compliment to his 911S 😄

1 hour ago, xs10shl said:

Two weeks? That's plenty of time to crank out a few more prototypes. It would be fun to think that a few of these were possibly completed after the show had already started.

Hmmm. Well, Nissan Shatai's production figures tell us that - by the end of October 1969 - they had built a total of 67 'Domestic' (Fairlady Z, Fairlady Z-L, Fairlady Z432 & Fairlady Z432-R) cars and 58 'Export' (LHD & RHD '240Z') cars, so they would have had a fair few cars knocking around that theoretically could have been available for show duty.   

• Like 1

• 11 months later...